Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Network controlling software

network controlling sofware

• Please log in to reply

s3ralmast3r

s3ralmast3r

• Pip
  • 5 posts

hello guys,

i have a internet connection of 8mb because we don't have a Internet cable in our street. i like to play games a lot but if somebody is on Netflix or streaming i get a horrible Ping.  so my quistion to you guys is, is there a program that shows me who is on the network ,how much he is using and that i can turn it of. it's not possible to instal a program on every device because we use pc's phone's and game consoles. i tried to find a program but i don't know were to look. i allready tried netcut but i can only cut somebody connection of with that, i isn't showing me how much he is using. i hope somebody can help me and sorry for my bad grammer!!!

bye

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 17,328 posts
  • MVP

How do you connect to the Internet?  Is this via cable or dsl?  Do you have a router (not just a cable modem)?   If a router what make and model?  Are these other users in your own house or just in your neighborhood?  What operating system (and version) are you using?

s3ralmast3r

s3ralmast3r

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

i'm using cable and we have a KPN network box. the other users are in the house and using te same connection and wifi. i have Windows 8.1 pro

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 17,328 posts
  • MVP

OK.  I see how you are set up.  It doesn't appear that the KPN box has any kind of monitor software or is snmp enabled which would make like easier.

To see who is on line:

Open an elevated command prompt and type:

arp -a

You should get something like:

C:\Windows\system32>arp -a

Interface: 192.168.1.102 --- 0xb
  Internet Address      Physical Address      Type
  192.168.1.1           68-1c-a2-01-af-6a     dynamic
  192.168.1.101         b0-10-41-4b-fa-f1     dynamic
  192.168.1.104         18-cf-5e-5a-b9-3a     dynamic
  192.168.1.105         e0-cb-1d-43-ab-50     dynamic
  192.168.1.255         ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff     static
  224.0.0.2             01-00-5e-00-00-02     static
  224.0.0.251           01-00-5e-00-00-fb     static
  224.0.0.252           01-00-5e-00-00-fc     static
  239.255.255.250       01-00-5e-7f-ff-fa     static
  255.255.255.255       ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff     static

You can ignore the static entries.  The top entry (.102) is my PC.  .1 is the router.  If you have netbios running and all of your house machines are windows then you can use nbtstat -n to see more about them.

You need something which can look at all wireless traffic.   Wireshark might work but you would need a wireless adapter that has the right mode and it's not really super user friendly.  Gives you too much info.    See:

http://wiki.wireshar...on_monitor_mode

I thought netstumbler might work but it doesn't like my adapter so I can't test it.

Perhaps PRTG in packet sniffing mode might work with wireshark to give you pretty graphs.  The freeware version should work for you.

http://www.paessler.com/prtg/download

I don't really have time to test these today but I think this is an interesting idea so am going to look into it more.

s3ralmast3r

s3ralmast3r

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

thanks a lot i will try it out and i will let you know how it worked