Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old PC Harddrive

• Please log in to reply

galenology

galenology

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi Geeks to Go, 

I've got an old pc desktop computer tower I haven't used in well over a decade and I'm wanting to just copy the hard drive onto a flash drive, see if there's anything useful on it. I just have the tower. What's the best way to go about doing this? I'd love to just take it to someone and give them $20 to do that. Is that even realistic? 

Thank you internet friends!

Galen

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
If you have a computer that you can attach it to, it would not take much to copy it. Depending on the age, it might be an IDE drive. Most new computers are SATA and may not have an IDE connection, so you might either need an older computer or get an IDE controller board (not sure of how available that is). I suspect that it would cost a lot more than $20 to get someone to do it. I would not do it for that, it would take a lot more time and effort to deal with it than that.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

If you acquire an external IDE encloser that connects via USB you would be able to use any PC to copy files to a flash drive,   You could then format the drive and use it for backups.

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B002K00G0W

http://www.walmart.c...-Black/29905951