Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to get the Windows product key from an HDD

• Please log in to reply

azul20

azul20

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Hello everyone,

I am trying to find the Windows Product Key from an HDD. The system that the drive was in, is no longer working properly. The HDD is in an enclosure, connected to my desktop. I have tried using ProduKey, and selecting load the product keys from external software registry hive, and navigatng to the Software folder, but with no luck. If you would not mind, I would really appreciate some help resolving this issue. Thank you very much for your time, and have a great night.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Can you tell us which Windows you have in the old HDD?

Also post the brand and model of the machine. It's a Desktop or laptop?

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Thank you for the reply. The drive is a 2.5" taken from a laptop. The OS, that is on that drive, is Windows 8.1. The desktop, that the enclosure is connected to, is running 7. The 2.5" drive is just a Seagate 500gb HDD. Do you require the model number for the desktop, or the laptop?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

If the Windows 8/8.1 came preinstalled on the laptop I don't think you need a key because the activation key is on the BIOS/UEFI.

If you already did a backup of your data it will be simpler to restore the machine to the factory defaults, that way Windows will be activated for sure and also will have all the correct drivers needed for the machine to work properly.

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Hello SleepyDude,

The machine cannot be restored to the factory defaults , and that is not what I am trying to do. Thank you for your time.

Edited by azul20, 31 January 2015 - 07:21 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Can you explain what is your main goal?