Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installed New RAM and PC won't boot (even with just old RAM!)

ram pc upgrade boot

• Please log in to reply

lolamadeus.steele

lolamadeus.steele

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,

I recently added 2 x 4 GB (Ramaxel 8GB Desktop PC3-12800 Ram 1600MHz DDR3) to my PC.
It already contained 2 x 4GB CORSAIR CMX8GX3M2A1600C9.

Once I added the new RAM the PC wouldn't boot (red light stays next to RAM on mobo, no video output). So I took the new RAM out again to test and the PC booted fine.

So then I tried switching the slots around, putting the 2 new ones next to each other and the 2 old ones next to each other and various other configs, but PC didn't boot any of these times.

So I figured faulty new RAM, took the new ones out, put the old ones back in their original slots and it still doesn't boot!

I have tried clearing the CMOS (Removing RAM, removing battery, holding power button for 30s, adding back battery, then RAM and restarting) to no avail.

The motherboard is an Asus P8 P67 Pro by the way.

I am now officially out of ideas, I need my computer for work so it's *very* important I get it back up and running ASAP.

One thing, when I turn off my PC and unplug the power cable, there is a green LED that stays lit on the mobo for about 15s or so... I *might* have unplugged/plugged a RAM stick while this light was on, could this have caused any harm to the RAM (or worse the motherboard?).

Any ideas would be *greatly* appreciated, do I need new RAM? Or do I need to bite the bullet and take it to a repair shop?

Edited by lolamadeus.steele, 29 January 2015 - 08:21 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

I am unable to find the RAM you listed on their site, DDRIII/1333/Desktop is the fastest listed, > http://www.ramaxel.c...g_Products.aspx

On the label there will be a code starting with RMT (example, https://www.google.c...0029;1600;1200)

If a different code, please post it.