Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desperate. Laptop wont boot up

• Please log in to reply

darkchild101

darkchild101

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

It brings error message saying

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

I have tried to go into safe mode and tried going into last known food configuration and on reboot it goes back to that message

Please help

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Howszit?

Have you checked the CMOS to see if the drive is reporting ok?  This message sounds like your drive may have developed a fault.  Can you boot from your DVD?  Do you have a Windows XP disk?  That would be the next step I'd take....  The pinned article on the top of this forum gives you a step by step explanation  http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

Hope this helps..

Edited by Mark D, 31 January 2015 - 04:27 AM.

darkchild101

darkchild101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Howszit?

Have you checked the CMOS to see if the drive is reporting ok?  This message sounds like your drive may have developed a fault.  Can you boot from your DVD?  Do you have a Windows XP disk?  That would be the next step I'd take....  The pinned article on the top of this forum gives you a step by step explanation  http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

Hope this helps..

Thanks I have not got an XP cd. Is there any other way around this

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

You don't need a XP CD to boot into BIOS Setup and check if the hard drive shows. If not then it's defective and needs to be replaced. If it's there, then you can create a recovery disc to use for further debugging.

Download and run ARCDC by Artellos. It will download the required files from the Microsoft Web site and create a .iso file. It will also offer to burn the iso image to a CD for you. If you don't do it then, there is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do it at a later time.  If you're unsure how to do this, you can follow the tutorial here: How to Burn an ISO File. This can be done from any computer.

Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.

Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).

From the command prompt, enter: chkdsk /r
Allow it to complete undisturbed. It can take an hour or more depending on the size of the hard drive.

Remove the CD, type exit and the computer will reboot. Hopefully that will have fixed the problem (corrupted file system).

darkchild101

darkchild101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I had totally forgotten I had this laptop. Is there a way of connecting my defunct laptop to a working PC running Windows 10 to fix this

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Howszit?

Another approach would be to remove the hard drive from the laptop and get an external SATA USB mount, (I'm assuming your laptop is not so old that it has an IDE drive.  If it has lotsa pins on the drive, it's IDE).  Then you could connect the drive via an USB port, but it may report an unrecognized drive.  If it assigns a drive letter to the drive, you could then run a disk repair on the laptop drive.  Not sure if you'd need to run the CMD prompt as an Administrator and then type in Ckkdsk /r (drive letter of laptop).  I know Windows 8 & 8.1 make you do this for an old fashioned thorough disk check....

I have used this approach when a laptop also had a bad DVD drive to repair disks in the past...

Hope this helps.

darkchild101

darkchild101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

You don't need a XP CD to boot into BIOS Setup and check if the hard drive shows. If not then it's defective and needs to be replaced. If it's there, then you can create a recovery disc to use for further debugging.

Download and run ARCDC by Artellos. It will download the required files from the Microsoft Web site and create a .iso file. It will also offer to burn the iso image to a CD for you. If you don't do it then, there is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do it at a later time.  If you're unsure how to do this, you can follow the tutorial here: How to Burn an ISO File. This can be done from any computer.

Boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.

Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).

From the command prompt, enter: chkdsk /r
Allow it to complete undisturbed. It can take an hour or more depending on the size of the hard drive.

Remove the CD, type exit and the computer will reboot. Hopefully that will have fixed the problem (corrupted file system).

hi

The laptop is a Dell PP09S and it doesn't have a cd drive? Is there any way of doing this through a memory stick

darkchild101

darkchild101

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Sorry its a Dell Latitude D420

Please help

PcTestCard

PcTestCard

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

To repair the unmount drive issue, we have to use the windows boot disc and run the command to remount the HDD again.

Usng the safe mode and LKGC will not work.

Also, we use Last Known Good Configuration option first prior to the safe mode to cure some driver conflict issue.

This is because the LKGC loads the last known good hardware profile.

If we run the safe mode first, the last good hardware profile will be erased.

Hope this helps,

Bill

Tech Manager, WPTinc.