Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First time building a PC (Solved)

• Please log in to reply

ImsoNoob

ImsoNoob

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hello. Can someone tell me whats the problem when my gpu doesnt turn on when i turn on the cpu?

After installing the parts i switch on my cpu, fans, and my external HDD works when i plug it in. Things thats doesnt work is keyboard. When i remove the RAM and run the cpu again I cant hear any beep sound. graphics card doesnt turn on. Its fan is not working and no display on my screen, but it gets warm when i left CPU running for a minute or two

I havent installed the BIOS yet, but still i should be able to see some text on screen right?

Do i need to install the BIOS to make some parts work? Im soo dumb at this.

GPU: AMD r9 270x

Processor: 6300

motherboard: MSI 970A-G43

Edited by ImsoNoob, 31 January 2015 - 02:29 AM.

Advertisements

ImsoNoob

ImsoNoob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

anyone?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

:welcome:   ImsoNoob,

Can you post the brand and model name or number for the PSU (power supply unit) and the same for your Ram.

If you are using the USB type keyboard try the wired PS/2 type or suitable adapters as pictured in the attachment below.

Leave the external HDD disconnected from the MB while you are troubleshooting.

Your MB may not have an onboard speaker and be the reason why you hear no error beeps with the Ram removed, invest in a plug in one like the one included below.

Have you connected the 6 pin PCI-E power connector/s from the PSU to the video card.

Some info for you so as to avoid confusion, CPU = central processing Unit or processor for short and it does not refer to the computer in general.

Motherboards come with a version of appropriate BIOS pre-installed on the BIOS chip and so do not require you to do anything other than to configure the boot sequence so that an OS can be installed.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

ImsoNoob

ImsoNoob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

My CPU is

AMD FX 6300 6-core black edition 3.5GHz AM3+

Motherboard is

MSI 970A-G43 AM3+

HDD is

Seagate Barracuda HDD Internal Bare Drive 1TB 720 RPM

I dont have an SSD

PSU is

Corsair CX Series 600 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze ATX12V/EPS12V 552 Power Supply CX600M

GPU is

Gigabyte Radeon R9 270x 4096MB GDDR5 OC version

RAM is

Corsair 8G DDR3 1600MHz vengeance low profile

Keyboard is a USB type.

I tripple check the connection of 6 pin connectors from PSU to my GPU. and it is connected.

I wasnt wearing any ground strap cause the video i was following wasnt too

Here is the video i was following.

Here is the image of my build

mtnt50.jpg

2z7j1x0.jpg

Here you can see the CPU fan is working so as the casing fan but not the GPU fans

10gz2tu.jpg

312jy3b.jpg

Edited by ImsoNoob, 02 February 2015 - 06:45 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

While Phillpower2 busy, I will do a bit of sticky beaking.

The Tutorial you followed is pretty good.      You may have a electrical short, a faulty connection or a DOA part.   The best way to troubleshoot the problem is from the beginning with a bare bones setup.   This is a logical progressive method, rather than trying this and then that.

Always turn off the PSU when working on the rig and take anti static measures by now and again touching a bare metal part of the case.

Disconnect everytthing that is connected to the case.

Disconnect all cables to the MB.

Remove the video card, then remove the MB.,

Put the MB box close to the side of the open case, set the MB on the box.   It should be the same as after instilling the RAM in the tutorial you have used.

Check that the CPU fan plug is connected to the CPU fan socket on the MB, see page 22 MB manual, CPUFAN.

You only have a single stick of RAM, so make sure it is installed in DIMM #1, (closest to the CPU) not in DIMM #2.    MB manual page #6.

Connect the 24 pin and the 8 pin power cables from the PSU, MB manual page #14.

Plug in the PSU and switch it on at the back.

Go to MB manual page #23. see JFP1, header, (closest to the edge of the board) on the back row, pins #6 and #8 control the case power on button. 

With the tip of a small screwdriver, briefly short out the 2 pins

Video is an example, take no notice of wiring colours, 

The PSU and CPU fans should spin up, if yes, let them run for one minute then switch off the PSU.

Please post results

ImsoNoob

ImsoNoob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Gday.

While Phillpower2 busy, I will do a bit of sticky beaking.

The Tutorial you followed is pretty good.      You may have a electrical short, a faulty connection or a DOA part.   The best way to troubleshoot the problem is from the beginning with a bare bones setup.   This is a logical progressive method, rather than trying this and then that.

Always turn off the PSU when working on the rig and take anti static measures by now and again touching a bare metal part of the case.

Disconnect everytthing that is connected to the case.

Disconnect all cables to the MB.

Remove the video card, then remove the MB.,

Put the MB box close to the side of the open case, set the MB on the box.   It should be the same as after instilling the RAM in the tutorial you have used.

Check that the CPU fan plug is connected to the CPU fan socket on the MB, see page 22 MB manual, CPUFAN.

You only have a single stick of RAM, so make sure it is installed in DIMM #1, (closest to the CPU) not in DIMM #2.    MB manual page #6.

Connect the 24 pin and the 8 pin power cables from the PSU, MB manual page #14.

Plug in the PSU and switch it on at the back.

Go to MB manual page #23. see JFP1, header, (closest to the edge of the board) on the back row, pins #6 and #8 control the case power on button. 

With the tip of a small screwdriver, briefly short out the 2 pins

Video is an example, take no notice of wiring colours, 

The PSU and CPU fans should spin up, if yes, let them run for one minute then switch off the PSU.

Please post results

Still the same. CPU fans does work. I left it running for 2 or more minutes like you said. I even tried resetting the CMOS. But to no luck. BTW is it normal that the inside of the GPU smells burnt?

Could this also be that my GPU is 3.0 PCI-E slot and my MOBO is only 2 PCIe 2.0 x16 slots?

Edited by ImsoNoob, 03 February 2015 - 10:18 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Thanks for the additional support iammykyl  :thumbsup:

Only thing that I can add to the above guidance of iammykyl is to try the other PCI-E slot on the MB.

Nothing should have a burned smell so that could be an indication of what the problem is.

PCI-E 3.0 is backwards compatible with most if not all PCI-E 2.0 MBs and only tends to be a problem with the earliest PCI-E 1.0 MBs.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Your welcome Phillpower.

Are you now troubleshooting with the MB outside of the Case?

If you still don't get a signal on the monitor with the video card in the second slot??   you need to determine if the issue is with the card or the MB slot.

A. Try any known working PCI-E video card in the PCI-E slots. if it works, return the card.

B. Contact the seller of the card to get a RMA number so you can return it as a DOA part and get a replacement.

ImsoNoob

ImsoNoob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Your welcome Phillpower.

Are you now troubleshooting with the MB outside of the Case?

If you still don't get a signal on the monitor with the video card in the second slot??   you need to determine if the issue is with the card or the MB slot.

A. Try any known working PCI-E video card in the PCI-E slots. if it works, return the card.

B. Contact the seller of the card to get a RMA number so you can return it as a DOA part and get a replacement.

I tried using old GPU. Its fan works but still didnt have a POST

20150205_014952.jpg

Could this be a faulty MOBO?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Your pic shows testing the old GPU with the MB installed in the case, so cannot say if it is a faulty MB.

Did you do a bare bones set up and test as per the instructions in reply #5??

Which slots have RAM installed?

Advertisements

ImsoNoob

ImsoNoob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Gday.

Your pic shows testing the old GPU with the MB installed in the case, so cannot say if it is a faulty MB.

Did you do a bare bones set up and test as per the instructions in reply #5??

Which slots have RAM installed?

Tried putting the RAM to the first slot closest to CPU. still same  no post

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the information about the RAM.

You still have not answered the question about doing a Bare Bones Test. 

Did you take the MB out of the case? put it on the MB box? connect to the PSU then test? (instruction in reply #5.)

Unless you do that test, it is not possible to tell which part is broken, or if you have a electrical short. 

ImsoNoob

ImsoNoob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Thanks for the information about the RAM.

You still have not answered the question about doing a Bare Bones Test. 

Did you take the MB out of the case? put it on the MB box? connect to the PSU then test? (instruction in reply #5.)

Unless you do that test, it is not possible to tell which part is broken, or if you have a electrical short. 

Yes yes, I did that. I followed your instructions carefully. I remove the MOBO and put it on top of its box. Then connect the cables of the parts that is most important.

20150204_023656.jpg

Still same output. No post.

I dont have an image of this but I tried putting the older GPU on it still same.

If i replace the MOBO with intel support and CPU with intel i5 will it support my GPU that is AMD base?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Yes yes, I did that. I followed your instructions carefully.   tried putting the older GPU on it still same.

It does look like you have a defective MB.  Most likely a PCI-E slot, but there is a remote chance of a faulty CPU. 

If i replace the MOBO with intel support and CPU with intel i5 will it support my GPU that is AMD base?

First, your video card will run on an Intel or AMD motherboard.

There is nothing wrong with using AMD MB and CPU,   Why would you want to change to an Intel build?

Follow your manuals instructions to remove the cooler and CPU from the MB.   Put the CPU into the packing it came in, put in a safe place for using later.

Contact the shop that sold you the MB and ask for a RMA, (return to Merchant Authority) as your MB does not work.

Make sure to reinstall the protective cap that covered the MB socket, before shipping the board back. 

ImsoNoob

ImsoNoob

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Yes yes, I did that. I followed your instructions carefully.   tried putting the older GPU on it still same.

It does look like you have a defective MB.  Most likely a PCI-E slot, but there is a remote chance of a faulty CPU. 

First, your video card will run on an Intel or AMD motherboard.

There is nothing wrong with using AMD MB and CPU,   Why would you want to change to an Intel build?

Follow your manuals instructions to remove the cooler and CPU from the MB.   Put the CPU into the packing it came in, put in a safe place for using later.

Contact the shop that sold you the MB and ask for a RMA, (return to Merchant Authority) as your MB does not work.

Make sure to reinstall the protective cap that covered the MB socket, before shipping the board back. 

Ive mess up a lot this time. I notice that my CPU got a missing pin and the pin might be stuck on the MOBO socket. I suspect this happen when I tried to remove the heatsink but the CPU came off as well even if the lever is down(locked). Im afraid I void the warranty. If so I might as well buy a new MOBO. Do you have any suggestion as to what would be a good MOBO to use?

This are the images

20150205_020030.jpg

20150206_020350.jpg

I thought Intel will be much easier to build but it will be costly than AMD. Plus I get really really nervous installing CPU. unlike Intel where its pinless I think I might be less nervous when installing it.

Edited by ImsoNoob, 06 February 2015 - 08:23 PM.