Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP extra slow to shut down

• Please log in to reply

Kelly d W

Kelly d W

• Pip
  • 8 posts

I have a desktop computer in my living room. Attached to my TV and sound system. It is not hooked up to internet. The only thing I use it for is to watch movies on my USB harddrive storage via VLC media player. This function works perfectly. I have system mechanic 6 and a SuperAntispyware. A few weeks ago I noticed that it has slowed drastically the shut down process. I remove the USB and open start menu... from there I click on shut down. It takes some where around 5 minutes to get to the shut down window. Once it gets there and I click shut down it does so right away. Can someone give me a idea of what to look for to correct this issue. I am sure I do have the service pak3 installed and my system is Windows XP Pro. I do have a antivirus installed as well. I've ran all the programs to search for errors and they come up with zilch.

Edited by Kelly d W, 31 January 2015 - 09:12 AM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Try uninstalling SuperAntiSpyware.  It sometimes fights with your antivirus which results in both of them holding open registry keys during shutdown.  You can see if that's the case:

Start, Run, eventvwr.msc, OK to bring up the Event Viewer.  Right click on System and Clear All Events, No (we don't want to save the old log), OK. Repeat for Application. 

Reboot. 

1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
and save it to your Desktop:
2. Double-click VEW.exe
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:

* System
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:

1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply then repeat but select Application.