Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP updating

• Please log in to reply

mikechWA

mikechWA

• Pip
  • 8 posts

I just did a complete system Restore. This computer just had too much going on and it needed a good clean start. Well the original operating system was XP SP2 and it seems to have IE 6.0. None of the microsoft pages will let me update this computer. I can't get updates using Firefox, and it won't let me update IE at all.

After clicking on a lot of links it always comes back to this message ... and Automatic Updates is turned on, but it does not run when it's scheduled.

Thanks for your interest in getting updates from us.

To use this site, you must be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 or later.

To upgrade to the latest version of the browser, go to the Internet Explorer Downloads website.

If you prefer to use a different web browser, you can obtain updates from the Microsoft Download Center or you can stay up to date with the latest critical and security updates by using Automatic Updates. To turn on Automatic Updates:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
  2. Depending on which Control Panel view you use, Classic or Category, do one of the following:
    • Click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
    • Click Performance and Maintenance, click System, and then click the Automatic Updates tab.
  3. Click the option that you want. Make sure Automatic Updates is not turned off.

Attached is a screen shot of my Automatic Updates Tab:

I have clicked on the small link at the bottom that says "Windows Update Web site" and that leads me to that page I posted above. Any ideas??

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello mikechWA,

Unfortunately Microsoft has removed a lot of previously released updates since they ended support for it back in April 2014, see if you are able to manually download and install XP SP3 from here

Two things that can and often do cause update problems are the AV protection that is installed and/or if the computer is a branded one such as Dell or HP the software not being specific to the particular computer, can you tell us what your computer details are.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Download and install the non-official SP4. It includes all updates for XP and IE8. Makes the whole reinstall process a lot easier. I've used it on many different computers.

Introducing - Unofficial Windows XP SP4

You can download using Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Bluemoon, ...