Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No POST no video

• Please log in to reply

boceefus

boceefus

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have an inspiron e1705 and when I push the power button, the back light illuminates and lights on the keyboard are green but I get no post beep or video. I plugged it into a vga external monitor with the same result. What could be the problem? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:   boceefus,

Some questions if I may;

Does the notebook normally emit a single beep when it boots up.

Does the notebook screen stay lit or turn black.

When you tried the external screen did you try toggling the display from the notebook to the external screen by pressing the Fn and one of the F1 to F12 keys (Fn + F5 is quite common).

Had you made any hardware or software changes previous to this happening.

Does the hard drive activity LED blink at all.

Had the notebook been dropped or banged previous to this happening.

boceefus

boceefus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you for your reply. Honestly it's been so long I don't remember if it ever did the beep. I haven't made any hardware changes and no bumps or falls. The hard drive light does come on but only for about 10 seconds. One thing I forgot to mention...it won't stay on when unplugged from power source.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Does the notebook screen stay lit or turn black.

When you tried the external screen did you try toggling the display from the notebook to the external screen by pressing the Fn and one of the F1 to F12 keys (Fn + F5 is quite common).

Please answer the above that I also asked.

The hard drive light does come on but only for about 10 seconds.

Too early to be sure but this could point to a bad HDD, you would however normally get a boot failure message.

One thing I forgot to mention...it won't stay on when unplugged from power source. 

The battery is bad so I suggest that you remove it so that it does not hinder your troubleshooting.

You are welcome btw  :)

boceefus

boceefus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The screen illuminates but the screen is black. It does stay lit. I toggled the fn key for the external monitor but the external monitor was getting no signal.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Did you hold down the Fn and F8 key to toggle between displays.

Have you removed the battery.

With the battery removed and the AC adaptor disconnected, remove the memory module/s then hold down the power on button for between 20 and 30 seconds, replace the memory (only one stick if you have two) connect only the AC adapter, power on the notebook and let us know the outcome.

To help with removing and replacing the Ram read your user manual which is available here

boceefus

boceefus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I toggled with F8. I took out the battery and memory and held the power on button. Same results. Again thank you for your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

I toggled with F8. I took out the battery and memory and held the power on button. Same results. Again thank you for your help.

Not being pedantic but did you then replace the memory and attempt to boot.

boceefus

boceefus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I did replace the memory one at a time. I keep crossing my fingers that it's not becoming a paperweight.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Remove all memory and then power up the computer to see if the results are the same.

boceefus

boceefus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I took out the memory and tried to boot but same results. Put one mem stick in and tried again with same results. I tried the other mem stick as well with same results.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

My apologies boceefus for some reason I missed your last reply  :(

Have you made any progress with this.

boceefus

boceefus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No worries. Your help is still appreciated. 😊. No progress. I did some googling and some say it's a driver problem. Some say it's a part in the display. If it's a driver problem shouldn't I still be able to boot to safe mode at least and bring the display on?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

If you do not get at least a BIOS or the Dell logo splash screen it is a hardware and not software problem, the two most likely culprits are the integrated video chip or the CPU, the video chip if bad is not normally a cost effective repair as it requires the services of an appropriate tech who has the knowledge and equipment to test, remove and then resolder a new video chip in place, this effectively writes off the MB as a replacement board is most often less expensive than the replacement of the GPU.