Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cd-rw not reading

• Please log in to reply

mizplayful

mizplayful

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I am hoping someone knows what I may be going thru. I have a HP computer. The cd drive quit reading but the light looks like it's trying to read. I took it to bestbuy bc I bought the extended warranty and they tried to tell me I needed to do a recovery. They said there is nothing wrong with the driver just something in the operating system. I came home and did the recovery (non destructive) and the cd drive still doesnt work. My dvd drive seems to be doing fine. Any ideas on what I can do to fix this? Thanks, Amy

Advertisements

ArlandaSmith

ArlandaSmith

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My Compaq Presario is doing the same thing. The CD drive won't read. When you discover a solution please let me know.

pudlea

pudlea

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Have either of you changes /updated/upgraded you operating system recently?

If so, go to the drive manufacturer's website and see if there are new drivers available. I had the same problem with my cd rom drive when I upgraded to xp and then again when I updated to SPII. Problem was solved both time but updating the drivers to the latest spec. If the manuacturer does not have recent drivers to suit you drive, try a google search to see if any are available. As I said, this has worked both times I have had this problem but you problems may be different.

Good Luck