Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot save or download files [Solved]

Windows 7 download problem file save problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Hello mtnester :)

Let's see if we can square this away:

You said:

So if I downloaded 1.3.15 then why does it show the same version number as before? I'm stymied at this point and do not want to move on to Step 4 (Session Manager) until we resolve this conundrum.

Not quite sure what to make of that myself!  That may be a question for the maker of XMarks.  Atleast you know you have a clean and fresh version, as updated as we know it to be. 
Go ahead and reinstall Session Manager.

I have also noticed that for some time that Tools/Reopen last browsing session has been grayed out. I don't remember if that started before or after my original posting. I was accustomed to using it because the selection to restore the previous browsing session in IE options never did work.

That could be a result of repairs.  History was erased in both of the FRST fixes.  After that, a new history will have had to be rebuilt in order for Reopen last browsing session tabs to open as such.

To check further with regard to Reopen last browsing session not working correctly, please check the following settings:

Press Windows Key + R combination and put inetcpl.cpl and hit Enter to open Internet Properties.

In the below window, make sure you have selected the option Start with the tabs from last session under Startup.

IE%20startup%20tab%20setting%202%20adjus

After making this setting, whenever you open Internet Explorer, it should start from last session tabs, or simply it will restore the tabs.  If that is already checked or if Internet Explorer on your system is not able to restore tabs after making this setting, try this:

1. Press Windows Key + R combination and put inetcpl.cpl and hit Enter to open Internet Properties. 

2. In the Internet Properties window, switch to Advanced tab first. Then here in Settings section, scroll down to find Enable automatic crash recovery* option with a star mark on it.  Star mark shows whatever changes you make to this setting, it will be effective after reboot.

Since you’ve mentioned the issue of not restoring the tabs, you might find this option unchecked.

If not checked Check this option and click Apply followed by OK.

Reboot the machine and start Internet Explorer,  you should be able to restore previous session if you have not deleted browsing history of that session.

Let's check the system files, make sure they are ok:

Please close all windows before proceeding.

Press Windows Key + R combination.
In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)
Select the OK button.
Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.
Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Please let me know how it goes :)

Thank you :)

Advertisements

mtnester

mtnester

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Not quite sure what to make of that myself!

I seem to have a particular talent for having things happen that people haven't heard of before. Xmarks doesn't make it easy to get help other than their user manual (which so far has not covered the questions I've had), but I'm sure there is at least a user forum somewhere that I can check.

To check further with regard to Reopen last browsing session not working correctly, please check the following settings:

Internet options already had the correct settings re: start with tabs from last session and Enable automatic crash recovery in Advanced. Oddly, the last setting was the only one that actually worked so to ensure I could reopen my tabs I would deliberately crash IE. The last reboot did work, however, when I shut it down normally. As I remember, though, I can only have one window open for that to work. Otherwise only the last window closed will reopen.

Let's check the system files, make sure they are ok:

I closed all open applications to perform this task. The same thing occurred with three attempts. After typing the command (with the specified space) and hitting OK a black command box appeared for about 2 nanoseconds and disappeared. At least I'm assuming it was the black command box since that is what I expected to appear.

How do I get around this latest glitch?

BTW when I restarted IE this time it started with my home pages rather than reopening the tabs I had open at the end of the last session. This is annoying since the exact tabs are difficult to find again in history when some of them have been open for 2 or more days.

Thanks.

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Hello mtnester :)

Xmarks doesn't make it easy to get help other than their user manual (which so far has not covered the questions I've had), but I'm sure there is at least a user forum somewhere that I can check.

I found a link for a support ticket here ~> https://buy.xmarks.c...p?lpnorefresh=1 
Sorry I cannot be of more help with XMarks.

How do I get around this latest glitch?

My apologies, this glitch is mine :(

Let's try this again:

Click on Start ~> All Programs ~>  Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow or continue.

At the command prompt type (or copy and then paste)

sfc /scannow     (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)

Hit Enter

This will check your critical system files.

If the sfc scan finds files that it can not fix, please inform me of this and we'll check further.

Once System File Checker is complete, type exit and hit Enter to close the cmd window.

BTW when I restarted IE this time it started with my home pages rather than reopening the tabs I had open at the end of the last session. This is annoying since the exact tabs are difficult to find again in history when some of them have been open for 2 or more days.

It only works for me in the second tab:

Seven tabs open, closed one window, then at the prompt closed all. 

Reopened IE ~ Home page Google, open a second tab ~ at the bottom of the newly opened tab window it says Reopen last session

You need to scroll just a bit to the bottom of the page to see it.

All seven tabs reopened.

It also worked the same way after a reboot ~ only in the [b]second tab[b]

All seven tabs reopened.  Plus Google and the tab page.

This does not work for you?

Let me know, please.

mtnester

mtnester

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

I have also noticed that when booting my laptop it often wants to go through a disk check. Most of the time when I boot I do something else since it takes awhile, and I hibernate more often than not; so I'm not sure if it happens at every boot or not.

I found a link for a support ticket here ~> https://buy.xmarks.c...p?lpnorefresh=1
Sorry I cannot be of more help with XMarks.

Thanks so much for looking, but it is not a clickable link and there isn't enough showing for me to try to decipher.

My apologies, this glitch is mine :(

Glad to hear that one for once. I'm pretty paranoid about my computer problems. lol

I'm happy to report:  no integrity violations in scannow.

Seven tabs open, closed one window, then at the prompt closed all.

Reopened IE ~ Home page Google, open a second tab ~ at the bottom of the newly opened tab window it says Reopen last session

You need to scroll just a bit to the bottom of the page to see it.

All seven tabs reopened.

It did work after I realized I had an incorrect setting for new tabs. Changed from a blank tab to “The new tab page” and restarted IE. I'm glad it works, but it's the stupidest thing ever, What good is the setting under General that says “start with tabs from the last session?” I keep telling myself this is another reason why I rarely use IE. I think after this post I'll go back to Firefox.

Still getting IE errors; losing pages that then won't redraw, although I found that if I copy the URL, paste it in a document then reduce the URL to only that part containing the original address then I can get it back. Still every time a window or tab is closed up pops the error box that IE stopped working. I just close the error box and continue, but it does indicate a problem and it's an extra step every time. Another reason to go back to Fx.

Edited by mtnester, 01 March 2015 - 05:00 PM.

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Hi mtnester :)

Ok, the corrected link for XMarks support is: here

Sometimes links do not post correctly. My fault ~ I should have double checked the post.

I have also noticed that when booting my laptop it often wants to go through a disk check.  Most of the time when I boot I do something else since it takes awhile...

Let's do the diskcheck this way, it should be a tad faster :D

Step 1
Check Hard Disk For Errors

Download the attached hddcheck.bat below and save to your desktop: ~>  Attached File  hddcheck.bat   93bytes   100 downloads

Now right-click on hddcheck.bat and select Run as Administrator to run the batch file.

A blank command window will open on your desktop, then close in a few minutes. This is normal and the batch file itself will self-delete when completed.

A file icon named checkhd.txt should appear on your desktop. Please post the contents of this file in your next reply.

I'm happy to report:  no integrity violations in scannow.

Excellent! Files are good! :thumbsup:

It did work after I realized I had an incorrect setting for new tabs. Changed from a blank tab to “The new tab page” and restarted IE. I'm glad it works, but it's the stupidest thing ever, What good is the setting under General that says “start with tabs from the last session?” I keep telling myself this is another reason why I rarely use IE. I think after this post I'll go back to Firefox.

When probing the issue I came across the same.  In order for IE to open with the same 7 tabs every time they have to be listed under the General tab, each in a separate line under Home page.  That'd reopen the same tabs always.
“start with tabs from the last session” does work if you have a bunch of windows open, close IE, and reopen IE or reboot and open IE all the tabs will reopen.  If you opened Google last or that's the only window you looked at when you did have the first tabs open, that's the only item that reopens, I've found.  Must be considered a 'new session'.   Microsoft's version :blink:

That's a good reason to have more than one browser choice!  I'm understanding why you prefer Firefox ;)

Firefox can be used here as well.  If there is a scan needed that requires IE be utilized, a helper will let you know.

Still getting IE errors; losing pages that then won't redraw, although I found that if I copy the URL, paste it in a document then reduce the URL to only that part containing the original address then I can get it back. Still every time a window or tab is closed up pops the error box that IE stopped working. I just close the error box and continue, but it does indicate a problem and it's an extra step every time. Another reason to go back to Fx.

It may be best to just reset IE at this point.
You can choose how to reset.  Just the program, or by selecting Delete personal settings check box, remove all personal settings and restart.
You could try just a reset first without removing personal settings.  If that does not stabilize IE, then reset again and delete all personal settings.
 Below is how to reset Internet Explorer:

Step 2
Reset Internet Explorer

To reset Internet Explorer settings:

1.  Open the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box. To do this,
2.  Press Windows Key + R combination and type in inetcpl.cpl and hit Enter to open Internet Properties.
3.  In the Internet Properties window, switch to the Advanced tab.
4.  In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, tap or click Reset.  A new window opens:

reset%20ie%20window.jpg

Note: Select the Delete personal settings check box if you also want to remove browsing history, search providers, Accelerators, home pages, Tracking Protection, and ActiveX Filtering data.

5.  When Internet Explorer finishes applying the default settings, tap or click Close, and then tap or click OK.
6.  Exit and then start Internet Explorer.

Note  •If you close all visible windows, but still get an error message when trying to reset, you might have processes running that are not visible. Restart Windows, start Internet Explorer, and try resetting again.

When you return, please post:

1.  checkhd.txt
2.  Please advise how IE is doing, how the computer is running and if there are any other issues.

mtnester

mtnester

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

23red,

I'm finally back again. I have 2 days remaining to prepare for a 3-week trip to visit family in Ohio and Iowa, and wonder if I'm going to be ready. :oops:

A file icon named checkhd.txt should appear on your desktop. Please post the contents of this file in your next reply.

I ran the test as administrator 3 times, bypassing IE's warnings that it could be a dangerous file. The command window opened and blinked for a few minutes then disappeared along with the .bat file just as you mentioned. Unfortunately, however, there is no text file. I did a search and located a shortcut to the file, but the properties box indicates that the shortcut is not valid. I tried using Firefox, but while all the other tabs in Fx work, the tab for Geeks stays blank other than my being able to reach a simplified index page for the site. When I select the Win 7 option it again just goes to a blank page, so I reopened IE to get to the post. I did all that under my User account. I decided to switch to the Administrator account, and discovered the text file with the hard disk check that we wanted! I guess since I Ran as Administrator it saved to the Administrator desktop. Here are the results:

The type of the file system is NTFS.

Volume label is OS.

WARNING!  F parameter not specified.

Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...

File verification completed.

1093 large file records processed.                                  

0 bad file records processed.                                    

0 EA records processed.                                          

108 reparse records processed.                                     

CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...

Index verification completed.

0 unindexed files scanned.                                       

0 unindexed files recovered.                                     

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...

Security descriptor verification completed.

31161 data files processed.                                          

CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...

Usn Journal verification completed.

Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

78142463 KB total disk space.

59758608 KB in 296298 files.

240304 KB in 31162 indexes.

0 KB in bad sectors.

472491 KB in use by the system.

65536 KB occupied by the log file.

17671060 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.

19535615 total allocation units on disk.

4417765 allocation units available on disk.

Volume label is OS.

1095 large file records processed.                                  

0 EA records processed.                                          

59972244 KB in 296265 files.

0 KB in bad sectors.

473323 KB in use by the system.

17456592 KB available on disk.

4364148 allocation units available on disk.

I have reset IE without changing personal settings. The result was no errors on the first tab closed, then I still got the error message below:

IE error.png

Please advise how IE is doing, how the computer is running and if there are any other issues.

On a good note, Xmarks seems to be working properly with IE, as the latest check showed it as syncing successfully. Also, while Control Panel continues to show it as version 127.0.162, I noticed at the bottom of the Xmarks status box the version number is listed as 1.3.15. Hurray!

IE is doing the same glitchy thing when a tab is closed. The computer is running super slow, especially if Firefox is open, continuously causing hangups after only a few minutes of use. I have to kill the process tree, wait for the CPU to calm down, then reopen the browser. I reduced the number of open tabs from ~580 to less than 20 with no change in how it acts regarding excessive CPU use. I also notice that even with closing tabs the amount of memory in use actually increases a little rather than decreasing, which means Fx isn't releasing memory. It acts the same way whether in regular or Safe Mode.

I wonder: could the age of the laptop be a factor? I purchased it new in late 2009 and use it constantly. Have I worn out the motherboard? Hard drive? (I guess we can't answer that question since the program you suggested didn't give any results.) Have I simply worn the thing out? I refuse to buy a new one with Win 8 installed. I bought my husband a computer Christmas a year ago, but told him he is on his own as far as operating it. I will buy a Mac before I buy anything with Windows 8 on it!

New suggestions?

PS: Now I'm not getting the proper website for Geekstogo on IE either. I returned to the web page to respond to your post and it looked like this:

Geekstogo screenshot.png

I managed to get the thread back after closing and reopening IE, but never did get the page to be anything but blank in Firefox.

mtnester

mtnester

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

23red,

I'm finally back again. I have 2 days remaining to prepare for a 3-week trip to visit family in Ohio and Iowa, and wonder if I'm going to be ready. :oops:

I ran the test as administrator 3 times, bypassing IE's warnings that it could be a dangerous file. The command window opened and blinked for a few minutes then disappeared along with the .bat file just as you mentioned. Unfortunately, however, there is no text file. I did a search and located a shortcut to the file, but the properties box indicates that the shortcut is not valid. I tried using Firefox, but while all the other tabs in Fx work, the tab for Geeks stays blank other than my being able to reach a simplified index page for the site. When I select the Win 7 option it again just goes to a blank page, so I reopened IE to get to the post. I did all that under my User account. I decided to switch to the Administrator account, and discovered the text file with the hard disk check that we wanted! I guess since I Ran as Administrator it saved to the Administrator desktop. Here are the results:

Volume label is OS.

1093 large file records processed.                                  

0 EA records processed.                                          

59758608 KB in 296298 files.

0 KB in bad sectors.

472491 KB in use by the system.

17671060 KB available on disk.

4417765 allocation units available on disk.

Volume label is OS.

1095 large file records processed.                                  

0 EA records processed.                                          

59972244 KB in 296265 files.

0 KB in bad sectors.

473323 KB in use by the system.

17456592 KB available on disk.

4364148 allocation units available on disk.

I have reset IE without changing personal settings. The result was no errors on the first tab closed, then I still got the error message below:

IE error.png

Please advise how IE is doing, how the computer is running and if there are any other issues.

On a good note, Xmarks seems to be working properly with IE, as the latest check showed it as syncing successfully. Also, while Control Panel continues to show it as version 127.0.162, I noticed at the bottom of the Xmarks status box the version number is listed as 1.3.15. Hurray!

IE is doing the same glitchy thing when a tab is closed. The computer is running super slow, especially if Firefox is open, continuously causing hangups after only a few minutes of use. I have to kill the process tree, wait for the CPU to calm down, then reopen the browser. I reduced the number of open tabs from ~580 to less than 20 with no change in how it acts regarding excessive CPU use. I also notice that even with closing tabs the amount of memory in use actually increases a little rather than decreasing, which means Fx isn't releasing memory. It acts the same way whether in regular or Safe Mode.

I wonder: could the age of the laptop be a factor? I purchased it new in late 2009 and use it constantly. Have I worn out the motherboard? Hard drive? (I guess we can't answer that question since the program you suggested didn't give any results.) Have I simply worn the thing out? I refuse to buy a new one with Win 8 installed. I bought my husband a computer Christmas a year ago, but told him he is on his own as far as operating it. I will buy a Mac before I buy anything with Windows 8 on it!

New suggestions?

PS: Now I'm not getting the proper website for Geekstogo on IE either. I returned to the web page to respond to your post and it looked like this:

Geekstogo screenshot.png

I managed to get the thread back after closing and reopening IE, but never did get the page to be anything but blank in Firefox.

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

HI mtnester :)

Hard drive is good :)   But IE is still acting up.  A complete repair is in order here,  if this does not work we'll get a fresh copy all together. 

Before you start, please backup your bookmarks following instructions in Post 26.

1.  Open the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box. To do this:

2.  Press Windows Key + R combination and type in inetcpl.cpl and hit Enter to open Internet Properties.

3.  In the Internet Properties window, switch to the Advanced tab.

4.  In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, tap or click Reset.  A new window opens:

reset%20ie%20window.jpg

Note: Select the Delete personal settings check box this time around.

3.When Internet Explorer finishes applying the default settings, tap or click Close, and then tap or click OK.

4.  Exit and reboot before you start Internet Explorer.

Note  •If you close all visible windows, but still get an error message when trying to reset, you might have processes running that are not visible. Restart Windows, start Internet Explorer, and try resetting again.

Let me know how this goes.  In the mean time I'll work on reinstall instructions for IE in case they are needed.

mtnester

mtnester

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Back after working again on IE. There were one or two times I closed tabs without getting an error message, but I normally see this:

ie stopped working.jpg

I keep feeling like things just keep going bad.

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Ok, we tried repairing IE.  That didn't help at all.  Next is a fresh version, via a rollback:

Uninstall Internet Explorer 11

First ~ backup your bookmarks following instructions in Post 26.

Windows 7 users can uninstall Internet Explorer 11 on their system. It needs to be noted that this restores the previous version of Internet Explorer that was installed on the system.

This can be IE8, 9 or 10 depending on whether the browser has been upgraded in the past.

1.  Click on the start menu and select Control Panel from the menu that opens up.

2.  Select Uninstall a program under Programs.

3.  Internet Explorer 11 is not listed in the installed programs listing. It is listed as an update, so select View installed updates from the left sidebar.

4.  The browser is listed in the Microsoft Windows group. You have two options to find it here. Either click on the first entry and type Enter in rapid succession, or sort the whole listing by date.

5.  Locate Internet Explorer 11 in the list, highlight and choose uninstall.

This removes Internet Explorer 11 from the Windows 7 system and replaces it with the version of the browser that was installed before it.

6.  Reboot. <~ very important!

7.  Download a fresh clean Internet Explorer 11 from this link

Please let me know how it goes.

Advertisements

mtnester

mtnester

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

23red,

So, I followed all instructions including rebooting; didn't worry about my bookmarks since I have Xmarks and they did appear on the fresh install. I haven't yet had an opportunity to test whether Xmarks will synchronize, but the thing that did happen was when I selected reopen previous session from the new tab it went immediately into "not responding" mode. Happily it did not last as long as on previous occasions. The best news is that I did close 2 tabs without the dreaded "Internet Explorer has stopped working." :yeah:

If I can get Firefox to behave as well that would be the icing on the cake. I already have too many thousands of bookmarks in Xmarks that need to be weeded out, but I wanted to reduce the number of open tabs in Firefox from 581 to something more manageable. It has taken days, but I ended up with many pages of clickable links that I couldn't bear to lose track of. It took days because after every few tabs copied and closed Firefox would become nonresponsive, requiring me to kill the process tree and start over. I thought it was because the memory used was over 1,000,000 kb but it continued in the same vein even as memory gradually reduced each time I reopened. It did seem that although I closed tabs memory usage actually would increase slightly rather than releasing the memory used by closed tabs. I remember years ago this being a bug in a much earlier version of Firefox, but it may have come back to bite me since I've abused my browser (without previous incident) for the past several years.

Would you have any input on this or would you suggest I switch to the Mozilla forums for an analysis? You have been quite patient and very helpful; I don't want to abuse your good nature. I feel that things are running pretty well for me at this point, and we (you) definitely resolved the original issue of not being able to save or download files to this laptop.

I'm sorry, there is another thing I want to mention that I have found happens not only to me but others as well, and that is the issue of the CPU going "brain-dead" in a manner of speaking.  The last time this happened I was working on my other laptop in a different thread with a different problem, and in the meantime this one turned off the display; the amount of time I had set for the hard disk to sleep had not been reached yet, but when I went to use it again and the screen came back on I couldn't get anything else to happen. I was trying to page up on this thread and nothing was happening. None. CPU Usage History was showing a total flat line at zero no matter what I did after that--clicking a link, clicking a different tab, etc. Perhaps at that point I was just confusing IE and it didn't know how to respond first so it did nothing at all.

And (I hope finally), after updating the database for Malwarebytes, I got this error message and didn't know what to do with it (so I did nothing). But should I do something about it?

Malwarebytes rootkit error.jpg

Comments on any of above?

Question: donations to are solicited for Geeks2go--is that a donation to the website in general or does a part of it gain special privileges for those dedicating their time and effort helping other people. Thank goodness for people like you. 

Edited by mtnester, 07 March 2015 - 10:09 PM.

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

I had you until you edited the post!  Reboot as Malwarebytes suggests.    Is your Malwarebytes free or paid?

found happens not only to me but others as well, and that is the issue of the CPU going "brain-dead" in a manner of speaking.  The last time this happened I was working on my other laptop....

I've actually been having the same issue recently.  Here as well.  Patience, I suppose. 

.....The best news is that I did close 2 tabs without the dreaded "Internet Explorer has stopped working." :yeah:

Yay! Progress! :yeah:  Excellent!  :)
Please wait a couple of boots with Internet Explorer before you sync if you can.  See if IE stabilizes ok, then proceed.

.....Would you have any input on this or would you suggest I switch to the Mozilla forums for an analysis?

You certainly do give it a workout  ;)
If it's ok, I'd like to investigate this further before I reply to try and find the best solution for you.

You have been quite patient and very helpful; I don't want to abuse your good nature. I feel that things are running pretty well for me at this point, and we (you) definitely resolved the original issue of not being able to save or download files to this laptop.

No abuse ~ I'm fine!  I'm glad you are happy with most parts of the computer's current state  :)   I'd like to look more at the Firefox issue and see if that can be fixed.  I have an idea, but I want to check further.

Question: donations to are solicited for Geeks2go--is that a donation to the website in general or does a part of it gain special privileges for those dedicating their time and effort helping other people. Thank goodness for people like you.

Donations are for the site.  As for the other half of that question should be directed to Admin as I do not know the answer to that.

We do all enjoy helping others :D

23red

23red

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,797 posts

Xmarks stores your bookmarks online.  It might be easiest to make another Firefox profile and load the 'good' bookmarks on it.  Then you don't lose what is in your original profile until you are ready.  You can pick and choose which one or all of your bookmarks to load in the new profile.  You're still going to need to weed thru xmarks, but you can build as you go with good bookmarks.

Creating Another Firefox Profile

For Windows 7:
1. Click the Start button

2. Click the search bar at the bottom.

3. Type "firefox -ProfileManager"

Then:
1.  To start the Create Profile Wizard, click "Create Profile..." in the Profile Manager.

2.  Click Next and enter the name of the profile. Use a profile name that is descriptive, such as your personal name. This name is not exposed on the Internet.

3.  You can also choose where to store the profile on your computer. To select storage
location, click Choose Folder....

4.   Note: If you choose your own folder location for the profile, select a new or empty folder.
If you choose a folder that isn't empty and you later remove the profile and
choose the "Delete Files" option, everything inside that folder will be deleted.

5.  To create the new profile, click Finish.

There is more information here with regard to importing bookmarks to Firefox.

Please let me know how it goes   :)

mtnester

mtnester

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Is your Malwarebytes free or paid?

It is paid.

Please wait a couple of boots with Internet Explorer before you sync if you can. See if IE stabilizes ok, then proceed

Actually it is set to sync automatically, which it has done successfully at least twice before I read your instructions. However, since today there was a problem today with a tab not working so I have now set it not to sync automatically.

Xmarks stores your bookmarks online. It might be easiest to make another Firefox profile and load the 'good' bookmarks on it. Then you don't lose what is in your original profile until you are ready. You can pick and choose which one or all of your bookmarks to load in the new profile. You're still going to need to weed thru xmarks, but you can build as you go with good bookmarks.

Okay, confession time. I dislike making a new profile because it's hard to let go of the old one. Remember my bookmark problem has always been with IE, not Firefox. Do you think that has something to do with making Firefox hang so much?

You can pick and choose which one or all of your bookmarks to load in the new profile. You're still going to need to weed thru xmarks, but you can build as you go with good bookmarks.

Mmm, another confession. If you haven't already deduced it from the number of tabs I had open in Firefox, I'm a collector so 85% of my bookmarks are “good” ones for future reference. I want to have lots of choices for new pins for my 9K followers on Pinterest. I work at being a good pinner. (Not, unfortunately, at making money—but then I've already paid my dues in that area!)

mtnester

mtnester

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Well I have to rescind my comment about not having a problem with Xmarks on Firefox. In IE I get an error message, but with Firefox I don't, and when I opened the add-on II saw that bookmarks have not been synchronizing. The message is Problem Syncing--Synchronization error--an unknown synchronization error has occurred. The last successful sync was in September 2014.