Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sensor - weather gadget - "cannot connect to service"

weather gadget wont work

• Please log in to reply

Ricky_22

Ricky_22

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Somehow my weather gadget won't work, it cannot sense my location .... just this past couple of days it's remained with message, "cannot connect to service" I would so appreciate help to put this right please -  I have just recently fixed computer problems with Phillpower2 help, and it's quite possible I may have deleted something I shouldn't have - Microsoft tells me that no sensor is present .... :headscratch:

I do so rely on this gadget which has always been pretty spot on with predictions -

Much obliged guys, and so sorry to bother you again so soon, but what else could I do? lolz

Ricky

Edited by Ricky_22, 04 February 2015 - 05:23 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

a quote from the internet:

"

Update:
Microsoft has DISABLED the weather and currency gadgets via a recent Security Update, due to concerns over the vulnerability associated with these gadgets running on your computer. You can read more about it here: http://support.micro....com/kb/2719662 . Adjusting your computer's settings and all these other "suggestions" people are making, will NOT work. The function has been REMOVED from the operating system. It has also been removed from the Windows 8 operating system. There are "theorists" that either agree that there is a security issue within the gadgets or Microsoft just does not want to support gadgets (usually third party software) and thus, has disabled them in Windows 7 and eliminated them in Windows 8."

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

You can also have a look here at this Microsoft page where it describes in easier to understand details what the risks are.

http://windows.micro...windows/gadgets

You can right click on an unused part of the desktop, if "Gadgets" is in the list, see if any are installed and still working, however as dsenette pointed out those such as your original weather service which have to connect to an outside or third party website will most likely be not working.

Nev.

Ricky_22

Ricky_22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Thank you both very much, I am so relieved that any of my actions are not the reason.

Obliged

Ricky

Gayle_920

Gayle_920

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Sorry to hear this.  I logged in so that I could get updates on how to fix this, but apparently there will be no fix.

Pied

Pied

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I have the same issue - and I can't tell you how lame it is for everyone to keep posting that "Microsoft has DISABLED the weather and currency gadgets via a recent Security Update" - because I have 3 other Windows 7 systems - all updated - that the gadget runs perfectly on.  I followed advice from another page which had me replacing a .ini file and a cache file, and some folder - which restored my gadget to normal operation...until a day or two later when it stopped again. 

There is a solution somewhere.  If you don't have it, at least have the courtesy to say "I don't know" - not regurgitate some internet post as the de-facto answer.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts

Because of security vulnerabilities, Microsoft has recommended that gadgets be disabled in Windows Vista/7. There are Microsoft Fix its on the page that dsenette linked to that can disable/enable gadgets in Vista/7. So if you just have to have them, and don't mind the security vulnerabilities, give them a try. I don't know if Microsoft has disabled them or not in a security update. But it makes sense that they would. And I can tell you that almost every log that we used to look at in the Malware Removal forum had Windows gadgets enabled. Now, I see very few logs that have gadgets enabled. And I don't think it's because all of those people found the Microsoft Fix it on their own.

Windows 8 discontinued gadgets and replaced them with Apps. That's the link that Gayle_920 posted.

And things posted on the Microsoft site aren't just "some internet post". They are Microsoft's de-facto answers concerning Windows systems.

Lockstock

Lockstock

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Clearly Microsoft has not disabled the weather and currency gadgets via a recent Security Update as I turned off security updates back in 2012 after the updates kept interfering with my most treasured programs. My currency and weather gadgets stopped working a few days ago along with everyone else which means they must have been disabled at source. Microsoft say that Apps in Windows 8 are much less vulnerable, which is rubbish as GCHQ workers rely on breaking into these to make a living, so we left with the only reason being that MS want you to relinquish Windows 7 for the much hated Windows 8. I'm really hopeful someone will come up with alternatives, though I'm guessing they will have to be completely distinct from MS gadgets.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts

Doesn't look like you thought this one through. If Microsoft disabled gadgets through a recent update but you turned Windows Updates off in 2012, how would you know if disabling gadgets had been included in a recent update?

I agree that if gadgets are still enabled on your machine that the problem must the source they connect to. You can find gadgets for Windows all over google.

anserq

anserq

• Pip
  • 1 posts

http://windows.micro...windows/gadgets

Check this page.

Advertisements

Lockstock

Lockstock

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I know that Microsoft has NOT disabled gadgets through a recent update as security updates are turned off on my computer yet both Weather and Currency gadgets have stopped working. All my other gadgets appear to be working correctly for now.

The dsenette link only offers advice on turning off gadgets and sidebar and no information at all on enabling or re-enabling gadgets which do not appear to be working.

It is possible that the security of the gadgets has been compromised and has turned them off as a result, but so far noone has come up with an idea or link to check and re-enable them.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Microsoft does not support the widget feature anymore and they haven't to more than two years. It is quite likely that they have stopped running the system on the other end as well because there would be no point to do so. I don't know if that's the case because I don't use widgets. The security flaw in the widgets isn't one if those "someone might be able to take over your computer if they try really hard" kind of flaws....its a "anyone with a little tiny bit of effort can compromise your computer with one line or two of code". It is horrifically insecure and you should avoid widgets like the plague

Pied

Pied

• Pip
  • 2 posts

There is a solution on this page - it remains to be seen how long this will last, but my weather gadget is up and running!   http://forums.techgu...top-gadget.html

Ricky_22

Ricky_22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Problem solved for me guys .......

TSG-Logo.png
Kot86 blank.png-
! just logged in to say its not "solved" in this way ("Gadgets have been discontinued", "Microsoft has discontinued gadgets" and so on)!
Here how you fix this issue:
Go to "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live\Services\Cache", open "Config.xml" (RMB -> Edit) and save it (File -> Save) without doing any changes. After 10-20 seconds restart the gadget!

This advice worked, and my weather is now back on duty ..... I sincerely hope that it works for you guys also ......

Ricky

Edited by Ricky_22, 11 February 2015 - 11:17 PM.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

The whole point about the earlier warnings about Microsoft discontinuing the gadget support was to hopefully persuade folks to not use them, and if possible uninstall or remove what is potentially a major risk of your system becoming compromised.

However we can only warn, it is up to you if you wish to take that risk.

Nev.