Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

network adapter not working

• Please log in to reply

rigs

rigs

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

I have a dell Inspiron 3847 running W8.1/64. My realtek network adapter(Realtek PCIe GBE family controller) quit working. I did a system restore but the problem it's still on. I had a similar problem with my old computer(dell inspiron W7/64)and to resolve the problem, back then, I uninstalled de realtek network adapter then restarted my pc. The adapter then automatically reinstalled itself and problem solved. However, when I tried to do the same thing on W8.1. the uninstall meter kept running for about 25 minutes. If there's one thing I know is that no program uninstallation takes 25 minutes or more. Can somebody give me any suggestions in how to reinstall this adapter or how to fix and get it working again.

Thank You

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi rigs :)

May I ask you how you are trying to uninstall the adapter? Via the Programs Control Panel, or via the Device Manager?

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

I've only tried using the device manager. should I try another way?................

thank you

Edited by rigs, 04 February 2015 - 08:15 PM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Go in your installed programs list and look for a program starting by Realtek, it'll most likely be called Realtek Network Controller Drivers. Uninstall it, then restart your computer.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

thannk you..it worked, I thought that it had to be uninstalled using only the device manager.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
No problem rigs :) Your issue have been fixed?

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

yes, but it's running slow.  my internet plan is 18mbps download but when I run aspeed tester it runs a 7mbps in average.  when before I was gettin at least 16mbps.  plus, when I check the ethernet status on speed it says 10mbps.  before all this I remember seen 100 and not 10.  I don't know maybe I saw it wrong.  I do know that it's alot slower.  I just tested my wifi speed and it's a 16mbps and on status/speed 54.0.  there's someting wrong when wifi is faster than the ethernet card.............any suggestions?

thank you

Edited by rigs, 06 February 2015 - 06:37 PM.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Are you currently on the WiFi (wireless network) or wired network (Ethernet cable)?

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

right now, I'm using the wifi.............

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Alright, download and install the following drivers please:

http://downloads.del...0.0.298_A01.EXE

Once done, restart your computer and tell me if you still get the same speeds.

Advertisements

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

wow, so far so so good.  the running speed is at 20-21mbps,  hopefully it will stay the same from now on.....................

thanks!!!

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
No problem rigs, I'll ask for an update in a few days to see if it's still all good :)

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

I don't know what's going on with my ethernet adapter

but the problem is back.  my adapter is running at 10mbps, again.  when I try install the driver, you provided, again..  I get a "installation failed" message.  the wifi still working ok.

thank you

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Did you install any Windows Updates recently?

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

yes, I have.  I also forgot to tell you that a few times when restarting.  I'd get a screen saying there was a problem and the system was collecting more information.  It also stated if I want more info.  I should look up for Driver power station failure(I think in that order) so, I don't know if this has something to do with my problem.

thank you