Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer monitor shuts down while scanning disk (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Vepr

Vepr

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Now first of all, yes. I clearly understand this is not the topic but im new to the forums and dont know which topic this goes to. Anyway, as stated. A few weeks ago, or a month, I went on my desktop, and typed in the cmd console chkdsk r/C: command which checks my primary drive on restart, so then I restarted. Then, when it goes to the checking disk screen, it casually checks then suddenly my monitor goes blank. That means I have no access to the desktop/pc at all. Neither can I skip it. I have a gigabyte mobo therefore cannot safe boot (atleast dont know how to) and neither does mashing f8 work. I have windows 8.1 on it I think. I've tried leaving it on for a couple of hours since 10% only takes like idk 1-5 minutes

PLEASE HELP! I NEED AN ANSWER URGENT!

Advertisements

Vepr

Vepr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Bump :[

Vepr

Vepr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Bump..

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

:welcome:   Vepr,

Windows 8 and 8.1 tend to load so quickly that it is most difficult (quite often not possible) to boot into Safe Mode, one thing that does sometimes help is pressing Shift + F8, if you have a Windows 8/8.1 disk and the computer concerned has an optical drive (DVD) you should change the boot sequence so that it boots from that first and the HDD second, place the installation disk into the drive then restart the computer, this should get you into the system repair etc options.

What happens if you try and boot the computer as you normally would and why are you running chkdsk in the first place, it is not a tool that needs or should be overly used as it is intended for diagnostic use when things have gone wrong.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post as many hardware details as you can, providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Additionally a couple of forum tips for you;

Do not reply to your own OP or last reply as it may lead to your request for help being overlooked, staff and members who assist on the forums will always check out a topic that has not received any replies to see if they are able to help, if you reply to your own OP it will appear to others viewing the board that you have received a reply and so are already being helped.

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Vepr

Vepr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Alright, thanks for the reply. Ill try tomorrow morning!

Also, its a desktop. Its pre made so I don't know the things

I only know:

Intel Core i7 900 and something idk

AMD Radeon HD 5700 (I think, so sorry :P)

Im using chkdsk because im getting problems on skype and steam because of disk (well it so says) and yes, its stupid to do a chkdsk check but I couldn't find solutions

Edited by Vepr, 09 February 2015 - 06:24 AM.

Vepr

Vepr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Oh... yeah... About that, I dont have a disk installation drive anymore..

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

What happens if you try and boot the computer as you normally would 

Can you answer the above question that I also asked.

Running chkdsk will not solve Skype or Steam issues btw.

Vepr

Vepr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Alright, thanks anyway. I've gotten a new laptop and its peaceful so may you please close the thread?

p.s. when I boot up, it shows automatic repairs, then I click advanced options and think for a couple of seconds to refresh pc but then monitor shuts off, if I restart, it just goes to chkdsk immediately 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,771 posts

No problem and if you wish to pick the topic up again you can post back here as we don`t close Tech topics only mark them as Resolved or Solved if and when the thread is concluded.