Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help!

• Please log in to reply

Pixem

Pixem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hi Rkinner, Im not sure I have correctly, well I think I have.

I have a separate "Clear Cmos" button on the MB. I have entered BIOS and reset to defaults, there is no option in the BIOS to reset CMOS or configure.

Am I correct in saying once the BIOS is set/reset it saves to CMOS?

Im kind of lost on this now.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

CMOS and BIOS are just more or less alternative terms for the same thing as far as the setup routine is concerned.   If you have "... entered BIOS and reset to defaults" then Saved before exit that's all you need to do.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

How did the memory test go?

Pixem

Pixem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Memory test was fine, 5 passes with zero errors. The DDR3 is new so I wasn't expecting errors.

Could it be my BIOS chip malfunctioning?

Pixem

Pixem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Im lost, its happening intermittently so I think its a possible MB issue.

I really don't want to give up on this system its been great and still more than enough power for my needs.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

Is it the post failure or the BSOD that happened again?  

Let's try Whocrashed.  http://www.resplende...rashedSetup.exe  Download, Save, Right click and Run As Admin.  Analyze.  It should automatically find the dmp files and tell you what it thinks is happening.  Under File is an Export option.  I assume that makes a log file I can read.

Do the post failures happen when it is cold or when it is warm (already been on within the last hour)?

The power supply might be marginal.  This is pretty easy to change out and they are relatively cheap.  Just get one with a bit higher wattage than what you now have.  Or tell me the make and part number of the one you have and I can suggest some replacements to  look at.

I also had one where even tho speccy said the temps were good the thermal pad had dried out and wasn't doing the job.  Replacing the old pad with Arctic Silver fixed it right up.  

Get Process Explorer

Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7 - right click and Run As Administrator).  

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK
Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header  to sort things by CPU usage with the big hitters at the top.  

Wait a full minute then:

File, Save As, Save.  Open the file Procexp.txt on your desktop and copy and paste the text to a reply.

Try speedfan

Download, save and Install it (Win 7 or Vista right click and Run As Admin.) then run it (Win 7 or Vista right click and Run As Admin.).

It will tell you your temps in real time.  It's normal for them to go up a bit while running a movie or a scan but the change should be under about 10 C.

Pixem

Pixem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

It had a single "No post" incident the other day, this was after I thought it was fixed, remember I replaced the CMOS battery and it began to work properly (For a week)  I had a single BSOD 2 days ago, which I uploaded the DMP files.

I did notice today when I booted it, it started for a few seconds, then switched off, then back on again. Which is very strange.. The "No post" incidences happen both when the machine is cold and warm.

I do notice the CPU temp is a bit high, during the memtest today the CPU was sitting at 55C which is 131F.

I will try all these things and report back, might be about 20 hrs as Im heading out for work.. again, I appreciate your continued help!

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP
I suppose it wouldn't hurt to take the heatsink off and clean it then replace the thermal pad/paste with arctic silver.  Amazon has a kit of cleaner and compound http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/B001FVI91U which I use.  For your system they recommend the vertical line application.  See:  http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/int/vl/intel_app_method_vertical_line_v1.1.pdf

Pixem

Pixem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hi Rkinner,

I ran "whocrashed"

It seems to think the memory issue is caused by software rather than hardware.

I did run a virus scan plus malware bytes scan few weeks back, AVAST AV did a pre windows scan and revealed a threat which was a windows file, maybe this is caused by windows?

This would verify the windows BSOD but the "no post" issue is separate considering its a boot issue, am I right?

Ive attached the report for "who crashed", will continue with the steps you posted above today.

Attached Files

Pixem

Pixem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Heres the process file.

Attached Files

Advertisements

Pixem

Pixem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Should I allow speed fan to adjust fan speeds?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

It can't hurt.  You would think the CPU would know how to control the fan correctly but some of them don't do as good a job as Speedfan.

What exactly did Avast find?

Pixem

Pixem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I cant remember exactly, but it prompted me to give permission to delete the infected file, as it was a windows file.

I guess a clean install wont go astray also.

Pixem

Pixem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

I haven't had a "No post" for several days now..

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

Did you tell it to delete the file?

See if you can find:

C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report\aswBoot.txt

open it in notepad and copy and paste the text into a reply.