Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot install any windows version on my Alienware14 laptop - no boot

• Please log in to reply

silverwhole

silverwhole

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, i have a very serious problem with my laptop.
My laptop is alienware 14 with windows 8. But i upgraged to 8.1. There is no problems for 2 months (after dell replaced motherboard for gpu problem). But now i cannot boot my laptop and show no boot device found error. So i run dell hardware diagnostics from boot option and no problems found. Also i can see my hdd in bios. One thing i noticed is that my laptop was normally ok and booted within 5 - 7 sec to reach windows lock screen. But my friends use respberry pi device on our LAN and after they did that, my laptop was checking uefi onboard LAN ipv4 and ipv6, after that no boot device found and failed. So i tried every ways i can, change uefi boot option to legacy, change SATA Operation RAID to AHCI, disable secure boot and windows 8 fast boot. I even used clean command to my disk at recovery console to perform clean reinstall OS. I also tried to use windows 7,8,8.1 and everything were failed. I need help as soon as possible because i have to do major project for my last year of university. Thank you very much for your help

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:   silverwhole,

Some questions if I may;

i can see my hdd in bios.

How is the HDD identified, a Seagate will begin with ST and a Western Digital will begin with WD as two examples.

What is the boot sequence set as.

What type of media are you trying to use to install Windows, disk or USB thumb drive etc.

silverwhole

silverwhole

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi phillpower2,

Thanks a lot for ur reply and help. Now i can install os again after i disassembly the laptop and disconnect the CMOS battery. But my new problem is that when i try to install intel hd graphics driver, pc restarted and windows crush. So i shutdown by power btn and turn on again, that time windows start normally. But when i retry to install intel graphics driver, same problem occur. Can u suggest me if it is hardware promlem?

My hdd is WD Black and i installed by windows 8 CD which is original from dell. Also drivers are from original alienware cd.

Thanks again for ur time.

Best regards,
Htet Myat

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello silverwhole,

Glad to hear that you have made progress with this and well done to you for that  :thumbsup:

Dell computers are notoriously picky about the order that their drivers are installed, did you follow the order as shown here (scroll down to find your computer)

Can you post a Speccy url for us so that we can see what hardware your computer has, details here

silverwhole

silverwhole

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi phillpower2,

Currently my windows crush and i am trying to install again. So that i cant connect to internet via my laptop rightnow. My laptop i alienware 14 ( windows 8) which is number 13 from the list.

By the way, i tried to reinstall windows so many time. Idk what to do other than that. :(

Really thanks for ur time. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello silverwhole,

You have the correct software for a clean install so we must consider the possibility that the issue may be hardware related, a bad hard drive for example.

Run the HDDs diagnostics tool (Use Seatools for Dos if you don`t know the brand of your drive).

If you can, select the tool that is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
Depending on the program it'll create a bootable floppy or a bootable DVD/CD.
If the downloaded file is the .iso type use ImgBurn to burn the .iso file to a DVD/CD disk depending on your OS (select "Write image file to disc" option) and make the disk bootable.

RE ImgBurn: please use the custom install and uncheck the attached foistware such as "Install Entrusted Toolbar etc

silverwhole

silverwhole

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks a lot for ur help phillpower2. I will try that.

silverwhole

silverwhole

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hello silverwhole,

Glad to hear that you have made progress with this and well done to you for that  :thumbsup:

Dell computers are notoriously picky about the order that their drivers are installed, did you follow the order as shown here (scroll down to find your computer)

Can you post a Speccy url for us so that we can see what hardware your computer has, details here

Hello phillpower2,

Here is the url for my pc specs -

http://speccy.pirifo...CqgEVN26yp3nmOT

For HDD Diagnostics, which WD version i have to download?

Thanks again for ur help. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello silverwhole,

Your HDD looks fine so no need to run the diagnostic tests  :thumbsup:

All other hardware looks good so for now I would suggest that you concentrate on getting Windows 7 fully updated and a good free AV such as Avast or MSE installed as at the moment your computer is vulnerable to malware attack, once done we can check the switchable graphics settings.

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

silverwhole

silverwhole

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi phillpower2,

Thanks again for ur help. But problem is when i connect to internet, windows automatically updated and updating process is failed and totally crush. There is also the same problem in windows 8 and 8.1. What i think is that when pc go to online and it try to install driver for intel graphics driver. Then unccessful and crush. My laptop is currently not on warrenty. Should i extend my warrenty?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello silverwhole,

If the computer is crashing it should be producing crash dumps, check if there are any and if so please attach them to your next reply, details for "how to" below;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.
2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

For now only check out the above and do nothing else please.

My laptop is currently not on warrenty. Should i extend my warrenty? 

Unfortunately you cannot extend a warranty that has expired.

silverwhole

silverwhole

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Hi phillpower2

Thanks for everything. I have solved the problems by opening the laptop again and clean the dust (not much) and disconnect the CMOS battery. 

Now i can use my laptop normally except some programs (especially games) crush and exit automatically. Can u suggest something to find that problems.

And also for the Minidump folder, i don't see that folder.

Thank u so much ur time and help (really). :) 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello silverwhole,

Make sure that crash dumps are enabled on your computer;

To configure your system to write out crash dumps in case of a system error, take the following steps: 
Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties. Click the Advanced tab, and then under Startup and Recovery, click Settings (or Startup and Recovery). For best results, under write debugging information select small memory dump to have your system write out crash dump files.