Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intel Rapid Start Tech. Mgr. Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply

dipaoj

dipaoj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Thanks! My greatest concern is that my son's school work still seems to be on the hard drive.

Advertisements

dipaoj

dipaoj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

An AVG virus scan just kicked back the message that "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads is signed with a broken digital signature," if that's of any help.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
You can delete all the content inside that Downloads folder. The Windows Updates present there will re-download and install themself if needed.

dipaoj

dipaoj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
That won't be possible as Windows Update doesn't work, along with McAfee and Adobe Premier Elements. Oddly, Photoshop Elements does.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
You don't have your Windows reinstallation DVD right? We could have done a repair install and I'm sure it would have fixed most of these issues in a go.

dipaoj

dipaoj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

I just looked at the original order for the laptop and it shows "Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Service Pack 1, No Media."  That's why I haven't been able to find a disc - we apparently never got one. 

dipaoj

dipaoj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Have you been able to bring a Technician into this thread?  We're getting pop-ups that say this version of Windows may not be authentic, and can't even run Dell System Detect online diagnostic and software download tool.  I assume it's all related to the SSD?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
I sent a Technician a PM yesterday when I posted that I would, he's just really busy and didn't have the time to read it yet. I guess that your RAID configuration is failing, hence why all these various issues. When we checked the disk health, did you check the SSD one or HDD one?

dipaoj

dipaoj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Thanks for the follow-up and response - I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something.

When we ran Crystal Disk Info, it checked both drives and they came back as Good.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
I don't think that CrystalDiskInfo takes into consideration the RAID configuration. I'm still looking around for a way to "restore" your failing RAID configuration. I'm still so inexperienced on this domain, sorry about that.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello folks,

dipaoj,

You have both AVG and McAfee installed and running on the computer, this will not only cause stability issues but also may leave you with no AV protection as the two fight for system resources, AVG sucks and McAfee is not much better so I would suggest that both are gotten rid of and an alternative free AV such as Avast or MSE is used instead (see my canned text below) do this first please as it will most likely improve your internet performance 

AVG is a known hog on system resources and will slow your computer down, it is also not as good an AV protection as it once was and using an alternative free AV that offers very good protection and is also light on system resources is recommended, Avast or MSE would be what I would suggest.

Uninstall AVG using the proper removal tool from here

McAfee removal procedure here

Avast! free Antivirus to the bottom left here

MSE from here

dipaoj

dipaoj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Thanks for your comments.  McAfee Total Protection is the default anti-virus program.  AVG and Malwarebytes are used for manual scans only - not scheduled, so they wouldn't conflict with McAfee.  They had coexisted for more than a year before this problem started last week.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

MBAM is fine but not having two AVs, disregard my suggestion if you wish but it is common knowledge the problems that it causes, from admins tutorial here

Important note: Geeks to Go highly recommends uninstalling any other antivirus software BEFORE installing another antivirus application. Antivirus programs often conflict and can cause system slowdowns, crashes, or even leave you unprotected.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
In addition to what phill said, you should read the "Note" in quietman7's post here:

http://www.bleepingc...s/#entry2316629

I know that you use AVG for scan only, but this isn't what Antivirus are made for. If you want an Antivirus scan, but already have an Antivirus installed, you should use another Antivirus virus scanner, such as ESET Online Scanner or Kaspersky Virus Scanner.

dipaoj

dipaoj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Guys, I truly appreciate your comments & advice. However, I should clarify my situation. We had McAfee Total Protection installed from the start, and added MBAM about 6 months later for periodic manual scans. All was fine for the next year and a half until the issues with the SSD and Intel Rapid Start Technology began. It was only THEN that I downloaded AVG in case it was due to a virus not caught by the others. In short, despite the conflicts you've pointed out, these problems post-date the McAfee & MBAM installs and pre-date the AVG install. I'll try uninstalling the AV's, but is that likely to resolve my problems?