Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which Seagate Hard Drive to Purchase

• Please log in to reply

Quartz

Quartz

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

I have to buy a new hard drive for my desk top.  The one that was in it was a Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 7200.12 1TB ST31000524AS. I want to replace it with a Seagate 2TB, maybe a 3TB.  How important is the rest of the info on the hard drive, such as Site Code, Firmware, etc.  I want to make sure that I get the right replacement.  Also, I read somewhere that a 3TB would required something else, but can't recall what that was.    

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

That is a standard SATA type HDD and is therefore easily sourced.

Stick with a 2TB HDD to avoid additional work and headaches for yourself, 3TB HDDs are fine if you are simply going to fill them up then remove them to store somewhere safe, the alternative is (if your present hardware and software is compatible) having to keep 3TB of data continuously backed up and worrying about losing an awful lot of data should the HDD fail and has not been backed up.

Post your computer hardware details for us so that we can check if it is compatible with 3TB HDDs.

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

This is the link to info about my computer:  http://speccy.pirifo...S2IIVHBanlZexZN

A guy had it built for gaming then needed money so I purchased it at a great deal.  I was thinking of buying 2 hard drives, a 1 TB for backups & a 2 TB for Windows, but I'm not sure how to hook up two on my mother board.  Also, I am hoping I can install Windows on the new hard drive from a flash drive I made from an ISO file. But, first things first...need to get the hard drive(s) ordered, then go from there.  Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

The MB is a MSI A75MA-G55 ( specs and download for user manual here ) has plenty of SATA ports so adding a couple more storage devices is no problem, what I would suggest though is using an SSD for Windows, the present 1TB HDD for data storage and a new 1TB HDD for backing up to.

SSD here

1TB HDD here

We will help with the installation of the drives when you are ready but for now may I suggest that you fully update Windows as it has not been done since back in 2013, this puts you at serious risk of malware infection  :(

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

What type of drive is the one I had in the computer - HDD or SSD?  Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 7200.12 1TB ST31000524AS.  I was under the impression that I need to pay attention to the Firmware # & the P/N # when replacing it.  As you can tell, I have never replaced a drive, much less installed two.

I now see that you already gave some of the info that I asked for above:  "That is a standard SATA type HDD and is therefore easily sourced."

I guess I am just confused as to which types I need in order to have a backup drive separate from the drive I run Windows on.  I use the computer mostly for online sales and emailing.  I do need to keep my photos backed up so I don't lose them, as this happened one time before.  Please check the link below & let me know if that is what you intended to send me for a desktop PC.  Thanks!

One link is you posted went to this:  Crucial M550 128GB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT128M550SSD1  The price listed for 1TB is $499.99.  I don't want to put that much money in a drive, plus I don't think I can use a 2.5".  If you can, please send me a link for one more reasonable.  

Thanks!

Edited by Quartz, 16 February 2015 - 09:22 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

You appear to have misinterpreted my reply #4

what I would suggest though is using an SSD for Windows, the present 1TB HDD for data storage and a new 1TB HDD for backing up to.

The SSD is used only for Windows so that not only does your computer boot up faster but also so that Windows is protected from data corruption, the two devices that I provided the links to + your present HDD are what I would recommend be used.

SSD here only for Windows.

Present HDD to to save data to.

New 1TB HDD here to back up important data to.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Just to add, if you do follow Phillpower's suggestions and buy a small SSD drive just for the operating system and maybe day to day or temporary data, most if not all SSD drives are the 2.5 inch size.

So therefore a mounting or adapter bracket may be needed to fit it into a standard 3.5 inch hard drive bay. The 9.5mm adapter they ship with the SSD is only an oblong plastic spacer which is for fitting the drive in the laptop 2.5 inch slots. (SSD's are thinner)

The 2,5 inch to 3.5 inch adapter bracket has to be bought separately, I think you might find one on one of the Crucial pages.

For what it's worth, I bought a 500GB SSD and used it to directly replace the original 500GB ordinary hard drive, and being an engineer made my own adapter bracket using some thin metal, a drill and a vice to make fixing holes and shape it. (I do have the tools, though most folks might not)

Nev.

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

My original Seagate drive is no good.  I broke the plastic on the hard drive where it plugs in, so I will not be using that hard drive.  I am thinking of buying 2 just like it, 1TB each because it is cheaper than the one recommended.  Does this sound good?  I need to know if I need to make sure the new ones have this # on them:  ST31000524AS ??  Or, does this matter?

Edited by Quartz, 28 February 2015 - 09:25 PM.

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

One more question:  Can I use a laptop that has Windows 7 on it to make a system image & use it to install Windows 7 on my PC when I get new hard drives?

Wizdom_09Z

Wizdom_09Z

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Not really because the laptop itself will be completely different with hardware specs. You would need to image the OS from the install your have directly on the PC as it is now. If you are saying that your HDD (the broken Seagate) as it is completely un- usable? then the easiest logical thing to do is a clean OS install when you get your new HDD from that flash drive then enter your windows serial number when prompted. With the specs you provided you can easily get the drivers from MSI's site for the board. Alternatively you can download windows 7 directly from Microsoft here and install it via optical drive as long as you have a legal license key ready.

http://www.microsoft...ftware-recovery

Edited by Wizdom_09Z, 01 March 2015 - 12:08 AM.

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Yes, the current hard drive will not plug in.  I did download the ISO file on a flash drive before I broke it.

I am having trouble understanding if the new blank hard drive is going to recognize anything on my PC, such as the motherboard, the network adapter, etc. so I can connect to the internet to download what I need to get it up and running again.

I was able to save my photos, documents, etc. off the old hard drive before I broke it.  Is this going to be a major process that I will be able to do after installing the new hard drive.  Also, I know my motherboard MSI A75MA-G55 will take 2 hard drives, but I am not sure how to set it up....master/slave??? Or, is this not necessary?

Also, if I were to purchase a 2TB & a 1TB Seagate Hard Drives, what is the importance of the #'s on the drives? How do I know which ones I should purchase?  Or, I could purchase a 750GB & A 2TB, but am not sure which one the operating system should be one...and again....I have no idea what all the #'s mean on the hard drives, but it seems to be important.

I just need to make sure I have a separate hard drive to put back ups on, so maybe I need 3 hard drives, which I think my motherboard will accommodate.  I know this is a lot of info to request, but I really need to do this myself b/c I know quite bit about computers, but have never installed new hard drives.

Edited by Quartz, 01 March 2015 - 01:40 AM.

Quartz

Quartz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Not really because the laptop itself will be completely different with hardware specs. You would need to image the OS from the install your have directly on the PC as it is now. If you are saying that your HDD (the broken Seagate) as it is completely un- usable? then the easiest logical thing to do is a clean OS install when you get your new HDD from that flash drive then enter your windows serial number when prompted. With the specs you provided you can easily get the drivers from MSI's site for the board. Alternatively you can download windows 7 directly from Microsoft here and install it via optical drive as long as you have a legal license key ready.

http://www.microsoft...ftware-recovery

THANK YOU so much for this info.  Now I don't have to save a system image from the laptop!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Quartz,

I post the following almost two weeks ago yet when you reply you do not acknowledge the information provided by myself or that of Nev, you instead multi post asking questions about installing the OS and drivers etc, that is not how free help forums are intended to work  :no:

You appear to have misinterpreted my reply #4

what I would suggest though is using an SSD for Windows, the present 1TB HDD for data storage and a new 1TB HDD for backing up to.

The SSD is used only for Windows so that not only does your computer boot up faster but also so that Windows is protected from data corruption, the two devices that I provided the links to + your present HDD are what I would recommend be used.

SSD here only for Windows.

Present HDD to to save data to.

New 1TB HDD here to back up important data to.

To keep things in order and ensure that only the best guidance is offered, questions that are asked need to be answered and any uncertainties that a member may have should be resolved before moving on to the next step, in this instance your choice of storage devices should have been confirmed and ordered and only then should installing an OS and MB drivers been elaborated on, this is not intended as a lecture just letting you know that picking and choosing what you reply to is poor forum etiquette and can lead to costly mishaps  :(  

In answer to your questions in reply #11

It is not a blank storage device that recognises the MB or other devices, it is the BIOS chip that recognises the new storage device, this is why the boot sequence needs to be set so that the DVD/CD drive or USB device is set as the first boot device and the HDD/SSD as the second boot device, this allows the boot media to be copied to the new storage device, once installed Windows will use its generic drivers to boot up the computer and you then install the drivers for the MB (often the chipset drivers first) and then any other devices.

No need to set your SATA devices as Master/Slave.

I stand by the SSD and HDD arrangement but would now suggest two of the HDDs due to your own being broke + the less expensive Crucial MX100 128GB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm Adapter) Internal Solid State Drive, free shipping from here Windows on the SSD, data on HDD #1 and back ups on HDD #2.

Your MB has six SATA111 ports so allowing for a single DVD drive you will be able to connect up to five storage devices to your board, please note that an adequate PSU (power supply unit) needs to be ensured before attaching any new storage devices, what is the brand and model name or number of the present PSU.