Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Gaming build (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

I will be building a gaming rig for a friend.  Budget is Under $1000.  Whatever will work the best and look the best, all that will mostly be played on it will be World of Warcraft. 

She was just going to buy this http://www.cyberpowe...om/saved/1GR102

I told her I could most likely build something better for the price.  But, I could be wrong.  So any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by civiccrazy, 09 February 2015 - 07:23 AM.

Advertisements

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Hello civiccrazy,

In my personal opinion, there's not nearly as much money to be saved now-a-days by building your own computer over buying one pre-built.  At most, I would say you would save $200 if you spent a lot of time shopping around (different places) for equivalent/cheaper parts.  Another difference to keep in mind is that if you build your own, most likely your parts will not be under any type of warranty (I'm not even sure if the build you linked to has a warranty on it, I only saw the specs).  One last thing I would like to mention, in regards to gaming is the HD.  While 1 TB is a lot of space, having a SSD would create a noticeable difference in load times (especially when zoning, etc).  The only down-side is that you're trading some real-estate for the performance boost if you switch it out. 

I'm sure your friend won't care much for any difference, as she'll be happy being able to play on whichever build you choose.  I just wanted to point out that the SSD is often an overlooked feature for speeding up online gaming.

I'm sure someone with a little more experience on specific parts may be along soon to clarify or add additional information.

Good luck!  :ph34r:

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

I was thinking an SSD would be better, maybe I will get both one for storage and one for playing.  (That is what I have)  I will spend time shopping around just to save money.  I just need someone to help put a build together for me.  

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

I don't have tons of hands-on experience with different brands/models of hardware.  So I will leave the specific suggestion(s) for someone else to post.  :yeah:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Here is a list of the parts as listed on cyberpower. > http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZQtkmG  $880.86 

so if you want that exact build, just buy it, not worth the trouble to do a DIY.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

I didn't want that exact build, just curious as if i could get anything better for the same price or cheaper?  Don't need a keyboard or mouse either.  

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

I'm sure there are some things i could upgrade to something better.

Edited by civiccrazy, 10 February 2015 - 09:08 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

The Cyberpower build does not come with an OS so that will add almost $100 to the advertised price.

Couple of lists for you to look at, one slightly over $1000 and one $120 over due to the cost of Windows 8.1 64-bit being included with OS here and without here both can be tweaked to suit.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

http://pcpartpicker....zy/saved/B4jscf

I put together this one earlier today.  How would this one compare to yours.  I would rather have Windows 7

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

A good list of parts but the GPU is only 128-bit so you will not get as good a video/gaming quality as a 256-bit card.

Fine with Windows 7 but I would skip it as you may find yourself having to pay for a new licence key when support for Windows 7 ends and you have to upgrade to 8.1/10 etc.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Sounds good, thank you very much for all the help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are most welcome  :)

Any further questions let us know and keep us posted on your progress and final build  :thumbsup: