Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Deleting a Large Number of MP3 Files

• Please log in to reply

jbljohn

jbljohn

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

I have a large Music File and deleting them one by one is not an option.  I was thinking that maybe I could transfer my iTunes Music File to an External Drive and then run the software AllDup to eliminate duplicate songs.  I would then designate the new external hard drive as my default for iTunes and WMP.  My question is will this work?  If not other ideas welcome.  Thanks!

Advertisements

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 633 posts

Hello!  Maybe one of these tips I have can help you.

To move/delete/copy multiple files at once, there are two methods:

1) Holding the "CTRL" button, while you left-click files, will allow you to target/highlight individual files/folders.  This will allow you to bounce around the folder in any order you choose targeting files.

2) If there is a large section of files listed above/below one another, you can target them all at once with a a few clicks.  First, target/highlight the file at the top (or bottom) of the "stack" with a single left-click.  Then, while holding the "SHIFT" key, left-click the file at the opposite end.  This should target/highlight ever file between the first and second click.

Please reply with any questions or let us know if this solved your problem.  Good luck!  :yeah:

PS - If there is a particular artist you want to remove, you can sort the music by artist, and target every song by him/her using Tip #2.

Edited by Fusionbomb, 10 February 2015 - 12:22 PM.

jbljohn

jbljohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Thanks but my file is 130gB. Probably 40% is duplicates - that would be a lot of clicking. Do you have any thoughts on my idea of moving the entire music file to an external hard drive and using All Dup freeware to delete duplicate mp3 files and then make that file the source for my iTunes Library?

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

GeekU Junior

• GeekU Junior
  • 633 posts

I've never used that software, but I don't see why your idea wouldn't work.  Try it out!

(Just make sure you keep the original files as a backup in case something terrible happens.)