Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Google chrome slow [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

ndskykng

ndskykng

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Hmm.  I tried rebooting and restarting Crypto.

Now it asked me about Windows Sidebar, etc.  

I clicked yes like you said.

Weird it asked on the second start of the program and not on the initial install.  Oh well.

Hey thanks for your patience on all this, I know this has taken several hours and I appreciate your expertise on this.  I love how fast Chrome is again.

Working on earlier posts while waiting.  Regarding crypto protection, not sure if its big deal, but it seemed to skip steps 6 and 7

• You will then be prompted to apply all default protections. Answer Yes.
  • You may get a message stating that Windows Sidebar and Desktop Gadgets are a major security vulnerability and asking you if you want to disable them. If you don't use these features, answer Yes.

Just went from asking about automatic updates/purchasing key to the program opening.  I think I'm protected now, but just letting you know I never got those steps.

Advertisements

ndskykng

ndskykng

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Hey, on that note, I'm about to lose power here (planned blackout due to a breaker issue).  We can continue this tomorrow.  But things are much better with the browser thank you.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

No problem at all. Let's try this. I need to check something real quick.

1. Right-click on your Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin)

2. Copy and Paste the following into your command prompt window. You will have to right-click your mouse in the command-prompt window and choose paste to paste it in.

reg query HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\FirstRun

3. Hit enter and you will have an output in the window like the following. Let me know if the last digit is a zero or a one.

BootedRTM     REG_DWORD    0x1

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

OK, talk to you tomorrow.

ndskykng

ndskykng

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Thanks.  Last digit is a 1

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Let's try the following.

1. Make the issue happen again where "Welcome to Outlook 2013" comes up. Don't close the screen however. Leave this up.

2. Download Procexp.exe and save to your desktop.

3. Right-click on Procexp.exe and select Run as administrator. Note: It's important to do this step exactly this way.

4. Select the View menu and choose Select Columns.

5. Check Command Line, Autostart Location and Image Path and click OK.

6. Hit the Save button on the toolbar and save the text file to your desktop.

7. Please post the contents of this text file.

Thank you.

ndskykng

ndskykng

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

I can't seem to make the error occur.  Maybe I need internet for Outlook 2013 to come up on startup.  I'm at work again.  I'll try it at home.

Meanwhile, I had a question before declaring my system clean.

I have about 3 or so USB external drives that I use for important documents, spreadsheets, old photos, etc.

But I know Ive also used it to download occasional TV episodes and movies when I was using P2P and Bittorrent.

Is it possible for viruses/malware to "hide" out in USB drives?

And if so, should I run any scans and send them to you so it doesn't cause issues when I plug it in?

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts
I can't seem to make the error occur.  Maybe I need internet for Outlook 2013 to come up on startup.  I'm at work again.  I'll try it at home.

OK.

Is it possible for viruses/malware to "hide" out in USB drives?

And if so, should I run any scans and send them to you so it doesn't cause issues when I plug it in?

Absolutely. What I would suggest is to install the following program on your computer. Then when you plug in a USB drive it will be scanned before you can access it.

Step#1 - Prevent Spread of Infection via USB Drive
1. Download MCShield to the desktop of your clean computer and install. Accept all the defaults.
2. The MCShield Control Center will open at the end of the install after clicking Run.
3. Click on the scanner tab and tick Always unhide items on flash drives and click on the Apply button to save the changes.
Main.JPG

4. Plug in your USB drive and McShield will start a scan.
5. Once the scan is complete, click the Logs tab and scroll down to the bottom of the log. If it says anything other than "The drive is clean" then please copy the log and paste it in your next reply. Other than that it's likely clean.
Log.JPG

ndskykng

ndskykng

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Two drives, both with log files.  The third one was clean.

Do I need to do any rescans of the computer itself to ensure it's still clean?

MCShield ::Anti-Malware Tool:: http://www.mcshield.net/

>>> v 3.0.5.28 / DB: 2014.4.12.1 / Windows 8.1 <<<

2/13/2015 9:03:37 AM > Drive H: - scan started (Seagate Backup Plus Drive ~932 GB, NTFS HDD )...

>>> H:\autorun.inf > Suspicious > Renamed. (MD5: 8dea303ee9370ea48d29e780eb5c41f0)

=> Suspicious files  : 1/1 renamed.

::::: Scan duration: 1sec ::::::::::::::::::

MCShield ::Anti-Malware Tool:: http://www.mcshield.net/

>>> v 3.0.5.28 / DB: 2014.4.12.1 / Windows 8.1 <<<

2/13/2015 9:05:00 AM > Drive E: - scan started (FreeAgent Drive ~233 GB, NTFS HDD )...

>>> E:\desktop.ini - Malware > Deleted. (15.02.13. 09.05 desktop.ini.818005; MD5: 83e1fa3c1667c809c4b699386e8e8aeb)

=> Malicious files   : 1/1 deleted.

::::: Scan duration: 1sec ::::::::::::::::::

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Nice Thinking! The software cleaned two of the three drives. So they are clean now. I would delete all the files off the USB drives that you don't need.

Do I need to do any rescans of the computer itself to ensure it's still clean?

If you plugged in your infected USB drives into your computer before we installed MCShield then it wouldn't hurt to run a Malwarebytes scan to see if it finds anything but I doubt it.

Advertisements

ndskykng

ndskykng

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Sounds good.  I'll run a Malware right now.

I guess my concern is that even when I was infected, I would run Malwarebytes once or twice a month and it never found anything.  It wasn't until I ran some of the other programs you had suggested that Chrome started working again. 

But you're probably right, its likely clean, as I didn't plug in the infected USB while we were doing this.  I was however, plugging in my phone used as a USB back and forth between my work computer and laptop yesterday when I had no internet on the laptop.  MCShield doesn't seem to recognize it as a drive though so it doesn't scan it....

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

I would run Malwarebytes once or twice a month and it never found anything.

No Antimalware/Antivirus program finds everything and there are specialty tools written to target certain infections. Even then we have to resort to manual cleanup to get everything which is what we did here. It's a tricky business for sure.

I didn't plug in the infected USB while we were doing this.

You wouldn't have been re-infected then so I feel you are clean. We just need to get that mysterious Outlook issue resolved. :headscratch:

ndskykng

ndskykng

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Okay... so its not happening at home either?? 

Maybe one of the programs you had me install (MCShield, etc) is blocking it from going up at startup?

But yeah, this is confusing.  I did the full shutdown and boot up and everything.

I would run Malwarebytes once or twice a month and it never found anything.

No Antimalware/Antivirus program finds everything and there are specialty tools written to target certain infections. Even then we have to resort to manual cleanup to get everything which is what we did here. It's a tricky business for sure.

I didn't plug in the infected USB while we were doing this.

You wouldn't have been re-infected then so I feel you are clean. We just need to get that mysterious Outlook issue resolved. :headscratch:

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Okay... so its not happening at home either?? 

Maybe one of the programs you had me install (MCShield, etc) is blocking it from going up at startup?

But yeah, this is confusing.  I did the full shutdown and boot up and everything.

Anything is possible. If it ever happens again feel free to open up an inquiry in the Software forum where they are more knowledgeable on such things. My primary skillset is malware removal but I do best effort on other issues.

You can remove autoruns.exe and any other text files that we saved to the desktop. Is there anything else I can do for you on the malware front? Are you satisfied?

ndskykng

ndskykng

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Yeah for sure.  You're good at what you do.  Thanks.