Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't access internet on a networked PC

• Please log in to reply

karenizzy

karenizzy

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have a small home network set up which has been working fine until recently. My computer is on broadband with a modem and I have another computer linked to it by a networking cable. I have installed ZoneAlarm Pro and do not know whether this is causing the problem, but I can access the internet on my main computer but not the second- I get the error cannot find server. I have gone out and bought a new connecting plug in case it was at fault with no joy. I have tried setting up a home network again, and I have also done a system restore to a date last month. Still doesn't work. I don't know what else to do! I would be so grateful for any ideas!!

Advertisements

SkyHi

SkyHi

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
First, try uninstalling ZoneAlarm and see if you can then connect through the computer. If you can, we can assume that the problem is ZoneAlarm not letting the access through the computer. I'm not quite familiar with ZoneAlarm so I can't help you to much. However, I believe that if you look at the two computer concurrently while trying to access the internet through the second, you should see a pop-up from ZoneAlarm saying something, and you'll be able to allow/dissallow it. After you've gone that far, I'd wait for someone more familiar with ZoneAlarm to come along and give you some pointers.

Though, you could get a router and hook up the modem to the 'main' port, and then hook the computers up through the output ports, therefore not having to go through the first computer.

-SkyHi

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You don't need to uninstall Zone Alarm to test, just shut it down from the tray icon. I've done networking with it and it has the annoying habit of not letting you know right away when it blocks something. Also, look at the ZA logs to see what it is blocking. You can set a "trusted" IP range which should be that used by your router to assign IPs. Also, all the computers on a network have to have a valid login, even if it isn't a domain. :tazz:

SkyHi

SkyHi

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

You don't need to uninstall Zone Alarm to test, just shut it down from the tray icon. I've done networking with it and it has the annoying habit of not letting you know right away when it blocks something. Also, look at the ZA logs to see what  it is blocking. You can set a "trusted" IP range which should be that used by your router to assign IPs. Also, all the computers on a network have to have a valid login, even if it isn't a domain.  :tazz:

View Post

Thanks for catching my error.

-SkyHi

karenizzy

karenizzy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks, I have eventually after hours and hours of messing around managed to do it! I had already put IP address of second computer in Zonealarms trusted zone, not realising that the name was as important as the IP address and had to be exactly right. So once I had entered the name and IP address of second computer in trusted zone accurately, bingo! Thanks again