Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

setto

setto

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

hello to all, first thing first,,, i have a ASUS EEE PC 1005HA note book, PROBLEM-, have just replaced my hard drive with one that works, has XP  on it.computer worked fine before i made the change, now black screen and hard drive does not spin, computer powers up, all lights on ext,,have nothing on screen wen i power up, just black, removed hard drive and tryed it in another asus, drive works fine ????? plz HELP !!!!!, (REPLACED OLD DRIVE, SAME PROBLEM) would be very gratefull for any help,,, thank garry.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

:welcome:    setto,

Couple of questions if I may;

Do you get a BIOS splash screen before it goes black.

What are the brand and model name or number details of the notebook that the XP hard drive came from.

Does the HDD activity LED blink at all when you restart the computer.

Have you tried accessing the BIOS when you restart the computer (tapping F2 or Delete key) this to see if the HDD is detected.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

setto

setto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

hi, thanks for returning to me,i get no bios flash screen, also no hard drive activerty light,the other hard drive came from the same make  note book as this one, have tryed F2 to try and get the bios but nothing but a blank screen and hard drive is not powering up, but does in the other note book ???? have also tryed a second moniter, and my tv, still no output to other screen or tv, very strange, have replace ribbins also, with ones i know work, no change. hope this helps, both note books are (ASUS EEE PC 1005HA )IMAG0134.jpg  IMAG0135.jpg

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

setto

You posted that you tried the old drive and the same thing that there is no post.

If the old drive worked before you replaced it then something is  not connected or sitting correctly.

Look that all the flat cables/graphics card are siting properly and connect the old drive. See if it boots.

vally

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

If no BIOS or ASUS splash screen possible suspects are the integrated video chip (unfortunately includes the MB itself) the CPU and an outside chance the Ram, try disconnecting the battery and AC adapter, remove the Ram, press the power button for 20 or so seconds, leave the Ram out, connect the battery or AC adapter, turn on the power and see if the behaviour changes in any way.

setto

setto

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

IMAG0138.jpg     phill ur the man, thank u so much for ur help,did wat u said, about ram, works great now,

would also like to say thank you to to vally for help aswell,,,,, how do i delete this post,,,,, again thank you garry,,,

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

That is great news and thank you for the follow up setto  :thumbsup:

As you consider the matter to be concluded your thread has been marked as Resolved, this may help others using Google looking for suggestions to fix their own computer issue/s.

You are most welcome btw  :)