Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very strange boot problem please help

• Please log in to reply

moocowrawr

moocowrawr

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Ok so what happens is my computer works perfectly intil I try to restart it or shut it down then the next time I boot up i will see this

"Start PXE over IPv4.."

"Start PXE over IPv6.."
"Error: no boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed"

-- And it will be stuck on the black screen intil i restart. And it will keep doing this unless i open the bios menu when its booting up and hit apply defaults and save. Then it will start up perfectly next attempt. But when I restart or shutdown it will happen again and ill have to reboot and hit apply defaults and save then boot again.

What I have tried so far.

Replaced CMOS battery with one from another computer

Changed the clock time ahead 1 hour to see if the changes would be reset or stay the time stayed changed between resets.

updated my BIOS
opened up case and checked all wires to harddrive swapped the cables from my sata drive and SSD drive to try different sata ports didnt work so I swapped them back.
removed everything non essential from device manager and unplugged from my computer.
did a system restore
ran dyanostics through bios everything passed.

disabled secure boot and network booting all it did was bypass "Start PXE over IPv4.." and "Start PXE over IPv6.." and go straight to the error on boot.

I am running win 8.1 64bit
the computer model my motherboard was an hp envy model h8-1513c
CPU and Mainboard info here http://i.imgur.com/63O3S29.jpg ( running 8.20 BIOS now)
my GPU is the Geforce GTX 770 not that i think it would matter.

Edited by moocowrawr, 11 February 2015 - 09:32 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   moocowrawr,

Sorry that you have waited longer than we would like to receive a reply  :(

What you describe is typical of a bad BIOS setting and so what you have done by replacing the CMOS battery and checking that the time and date both stay the same are the correct troubleshooting steps, however the following should also be considered and checked, the replacement CMOS battery could also be bad or not compatible (is it the same CR2032 type) and when you shut down a computer a residual charge stays within the MBs circuits and capacitors, this charge is what also keeps the BIOS chip powered until it drains which consequently stores the time, date and boot sequence, to check the latter do the following for us if you will;

Ensure that the time date and boot sequence are correct.

Shut down the computer as you normally would.

Disconnect the computer and any peripherals from the mains power wall sockets.

Press the computers power on button for 30 seconds to discharge any residual charge from within the MB and other hardware.

Reconnect the power supply, restart the computer and let us know the outcome.