Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Amazing New exploit

• Please log in to reply

larrybolton

larrybolton

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi, I've been a tech for 20 years but I've never seen any sort of malware like this and I was wondering if anyone has heard of it or has any experience...

In Windows 7, the exploit appears to be a trojan that literally uninstalls and replaces all program files, services, registry etc.  After gutting the system, it replaces the files with an entirely new OS that operates as a remotely controlled   'Virtual server' using a modified version of "Windows Virtual PC" system that apparently sends spam and logs all personal information. Many of these replacement files come from a website called : www.w3.org"

The virtual OS environment is very complete and detailed.. I was fooled for quite awhile until I realized that even my Google Chrome browser was 'sandboxed'.

Since "Windows"n isn't "Windows' anymore, there's no way to run a software tool to remove an infection, the whole OS IS the infection..

I made the mistake of copying this thing using a file manger booted up using Hirens.  I transferred the copy to clean offline old XP machine that I use for analysis and it must have had some sort of 'auto-run' feature that stays active because it re-configured that machine in under 5 minutes.  It even created an odd hidden fat partition to store it's core files.

I can't run conventional tools on this thing because it's 'virtual' and it basically decides what it wants to run and unless I boot from a bootdisk I have yet to understand how to shut down the virtual layer.

I've never seen anything this involved before and I haven't been able to find anything on the net about it..  Any ideas?

Thanks LB

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

We had zero access a few years ago that created its own partition and modified the MBR.  Sounds like this is taking it one step farther.  I haven't seen ZA recently so I guess they have been developing a new version.  Can you run a FRST scan from a USB drive?

http://www.geekstogo...l/#entry2151691

Can you use Hirens to get a copy of the MBR, zip it up and attach it to a reply?