Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Updates ready, notebook slows down (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

CrazyBat

CrazyBat

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi guys, well I don't have any serious problems but I do like when my computer works flawless and something is happening that annoys me and I can't really pinpoint why is this like this.
I have Asus Aspire E15 with windows 8. It works well, it is a few month old notebook. But every here and then it drastically slows down. I have noticed that when this happens I have option "update and restart computer" in my "turn off" menu (start). I also have OneDrive on the machine.

So this is what I don't understand, first why would it slow down my computer if updates are ready and just need restart to be installed?
Second, why are there still available updates in my action center, although I've made that step? (although I choose update and restart from "turn off" menu)
And why does my OneDrive has exclamation mark on it icon until I manually install updates in my action center.

Sorry for bad English and thanks for any help

Regards
Ivan

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:  CrazyBat,

Apologies for the delay in you receiving a reply to your OP  :(

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

CrazyBat

CrazyBat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hi Phillpower, thank you for welcome and reply.

I have done what you told me and here is the link. Please note that I have changed my computer settings and made language English but some of the stuff here just stays in my native language. I hope it will be good enough though.

http://speccy.pirifo...1RUSmFDZ1jlEBpd

Thank you for the tip too, of course I didn't do that. I will now :)

Regards

Bat

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks for the Speccy url Bat  :thumbsup:

The only thing of particular note is that the pagefile (virtual memory setting) on the computer is too small, it should be 1.5 Xs the size of the physical Ram that you have, you have 2GB so the pagefile/virtual memory should be at least 3.5GB (yours is presently 2.82 GB) it will not make a massive difference but will improve things, explanation and "how to" steps here

Please note that as you as you only have the one stick of Ram it will only work in single channel and not dual channel mode.

I would also suggest that you check your CPUs performance, details here

CrazyBat

CrazyBat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hi Phill.

Thank you very much. :) I have followed the steps and increased my secondary storage up to 3500 MB (although your link suggests to increase by only 200 MB I have listened to your advice). My notebook works much better. My Chrome works fantastic! YAY!I can now work in more than 1 tab even if flash player is in both tabs. Awesome. I don't currently have any updates waiting to know did this resolve that issue, but since performance of my computer has so drastically improve I think it is safe to assume I will not have problems with updates slowing down my notebook anymore.

I have checked the second link, I will make the test. As a complete layman I am just not sure what to do with results. Any hint?

Thanks again for your help

Regards

Bat

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Bat,

We are pleased to hear that improvements in performance have been made and that you are happy with the results  :)

No need to run the CPU test now as that also appears to be all good else nothing would have changed  ;)  it is a handy tool to keep in mind for the future though, the results are easy to understand as you get a Pass or Fail result.

Credit to you btw for carrying out the fix  :thumbsup:

CrazyBat

CrazyBat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Thank you very much Phill. It was easy to follow so all credits go to you. If I just may ask you one question. Since my RAM is unused you have advised me to do 1.5x the whole RAM capacity. I am sharing this with the game community I participate in (Geeks2go mentioned and accredited), so I am curious is this fix always 1.5x the total RAM capacity, or is it 1.5x of free RAM space? 

Thank you once again

Regards

Bat

Edited by CrazyBat, 19 February 2015 - 09:35 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Apologies for the delay Bat, been busy with work and had no time to myself  :(

Not sure what you mean by free Ram space. but how it works is 1.5 Xs the amount of actual physical Ram, this could be 1.5 Xs 2 Xs 2GB sticks or 1.5 Xs 1 Xs 4GB stick (pagefile would be 6072GB if my maths is correct  :whistling: )

You are most welcome btw  :)

CrazyBat

CrazyBat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Thank you :) Got it now. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts