Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start Button and Desktop Icons gone from my Desktop (Windows XP SP3) [

Windows XP Windows Start Button Desktop Desktop Icons

• Please log in to reply

NopeCity

NopeCity

• Pip
  • 5 posts

The Desktop Icons and Start Button are gone from my profile's desktop and my son's desktop on our computer. The desktop still shows, however this problem is not occurring on our guest profile, which does not have admin priveliges. Could someone help me?

The Desktop Icons and Start Button are gone from my profile's desktop and my son's desktop on our computer. The desktop still shows, however this problem is not occurring on our guest profile, which does not have admin priveliges. Could someone help me?

Edited by NopeCity, 13 February 2015 - 07:16 PM.

Advertisements

NopeCity

NopeCity

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
UPDATE:
Using the task manager, I am currently running a full system scan with Avast! Anti-Virus Software, and it is going very slowly.
On the other hand, the processes window of the task manager has all processes save for Avast and System (every once and a while) not using any CPU, on the other hand, System Idle Process is using 90-67 CPU (the usage keeps updating), any idea what this means?

NopeCity

NopeCity

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
UPDATE: The usage of CPU by System Idle has a max of 99 it would seem, it keeps jumping around so it's hard to gauge.

NopeCity

NopeCity

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have tried running explorer.exe multiple times to no avail. It does not appear in the task managers running programs when I do try to run it, although Avast is running and is shown to be running in the window.

NopeCity

NopeCity

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've solved the problem through other sources. Thank you all anyways.