Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Check if camera memory card is infected

flash drive memory card virus malware

• Please log in to reply

wayneman50

wayneman50

• PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

I have Windows 7.

A friend plugged the memory card from my camera into his computer to transfer some photos. I don't think he's particularly good at keeping malware and viruses off his PC. Can you help me scan my memory card in my PC for potential threats? I'm pretty sure I have Panda vaccine installed on my memory card.

Thanks.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

This is probably overkill the last step should probably be enough but if you are feeling paranoid:

I think the default on Win 7 is not to autorun but just to be safe get Autorun-Eater

http://www.gamefront.../aesetup2.6.exe

And install it first.    It will prevent any autorun from working.

When you plug in the camera card it should tell you what drive it is (I'll call it x: in the following but you need to change x: to whatever your system assigns) and ask you what to do with it.  Just cancel out and then Start, All programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and run as admin.  Then type (with an enter after the line)

x:

(This selects the drive.  The prompt should change to:  x: \   --Remember to change this to your letter!)

attrib -r -h -s \*.*

(Makes all files visible)

del \autorun.inf

(deletes any autorun.inf file.  It may not find one. I'm not familiar with what your panda vaccine does - probably creates a folder called autorun.inf.  You don't need to remove the folder just the file.  To create your own:  )

mkdir \autorun.inf

(It may say the directory already exists which is OK)) 

del \desktop.ini

(deletes any desktop.ini file.  It may not find one.)

mkdir desktop.ini

(It may say the directory already exists which is OK)) 

Now right click on start and Open Windows Explorer and find the X: under Computer.   Right click on it and tell your antivirus to scan the drive - I have Avast and it shows the orange ball and Scan X:\ )

Card should now be safe to work with.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Thank you for contacting me about my question.

I installed Autorun Eater, did the first couple commands you specified, and got the results in the screen shot attached. I stopped there. Please advise.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

What does it say if you do:

G:

dir /a

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Please see attached.

FYI, I'm pretty sure someone from geekstogo had me turn off autorun a couple years ago.

Panda vaccine is software someone from geekstogo told me about. It's supposed to help prevent malware from getting on to flash drives. So I used it on my memory card too.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

I expect the file autorun.inf is from your Panda.  The date on it is pretty old so nothing recent.  

It's acting like someone has changed the owner on the file and removed full control.  

You might try to read it and see what it says:

type g:\autorun.inf

(Type is part of the command)  or open it in notepad:

notepad g:\autorun.inf

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

"Access is denied" on both commands. Maybe that's the Panda vaccine keeping anyone from messing with it?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Probably.  I think it's safe to go ahead and have your anti-virus scan the card and then open the card.

If you really want to you can right click on "start" and Open Windows Explorer and then find G:\ and click on it.  Then you can right click on autorun.inf and select Properties then Security and Advanced then Owner then Edit and take ownership of the file.  Then you can change it to give yourself Full Control but it sort of undoes Panda's work.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

I ran Avast! Everything's ok, except for this message:

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

If Avast can't read it then no one else can either so it should be safe.  I'm sure it's Panda's idea of a vaccine.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

So you think I'm good to go?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Yes if the autorun.infwas bad it would have to point to a virus .exe and Avast would have found it

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Thank you. It's ok to close this topic. I appreciate your time.