Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cloning a solid state drive.

• Please log in to reply

Ste

Ste

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Hi, I recently put a new computer system together but unlike previous one's I used a solid state drive for the operating system (223gb running Win8.1). I keep my files on a separate drive but have always cloned the operating system and find it convenient and time saving to just swap drives over if there is a serious fault.

I have had no problem with this in the past but this time it did not work presumably because I was trying to clone it to the old sata type drive.

Would I be able to clone it to another solid state drive or is there another reason it didn't work? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

the drive type shouldn't have any bearing on the ability to clone....depending on the software. what software are you using to do the clone?

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Not sure about which operating system you are cloning, as in, is it already running on a different computer?

For what it's worth I bought a Crucial SATA 500GB SSD last year and using Macrium Reflect, I cloned the entire system from the older HDD onto the SSD and installed the SSD in its place, so the operating system is still in the original computer, just running on an SSD now.

Nev.

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Hi, Thanks for the responses. Dsenette, its good to know you think it is not the type of drive that was causing the problem. Perhaps it was just a glitch on the occasion I tried it  (using Acronis True Image) but as it left me with a black screen and wouldn't boot I didn't want to risk it again.

I got round it my checking the Bios and found that it was trying to boot from an Acronis option which had been added, so I just changed to the original boot order. It looks like it didn't complete for some reason. Nev also confirms that it can work. It makes me wonder if it could have been a fault with the old sata type drive I tried to clone to. I will make another attempt when I get chance and post the result.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

acronis should be completely hardware agnostic, assuming you do the clone correctly. it doesn't care about the drives. as long as the target drive is big enough for the data.

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

HI, I have just attempted another clone but have come upon another, or maybe the original problem. After choosing the source and target drives Acronis asks to reboot but  on rebooting I get the following message:
'The system found unauthorized changes on the firmware operating system or UEFI drivers. Press (N) to run the next boot device or enter directly to BIOS Setup if there are other boot devices installed'.

I press 'N' and the system boots up OK. On looking in the BIOS boot options I see the following:
These show as large icons and the first one which the system boots successfully on is:

UEFI Windows Boot Manager (P2:Kingston SV300S37A240G)

Other options are P1: Kingston SV300S37A240G
And - P2 ATAPI iHas124  E
-----------------------------
Apart from the ocons if I click on the 'Boot Menu Tab' I see:

Acronis loader (P2:Kingston SV300S37A240G)
Windows Boot Manager (P2:Kingston SV300S37A240G
P2: ATAPI iHAS124  E
P1: Kingston SV300S37A240G
Other drives for files show as P3 & P4.

On each occasion after changing the boot order the same message(above) appears. It looks a bit confused. I would like to correct  the problem and clean things up but I don't really know what is going on.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

https://kb.acronis.com/content/44741  are you following these steps?

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Hi, I followed the steps as I have before using the automatic method but after watching the  video on the page you sent the link for, I think I have found the problem. It states that GPT disks are not supported by Acronis and Backup and Restore is recommended.

I remember choosing GPT when setting up the drive after finding out it was the more reliable option.  

If this is the case I will just have to do as it says. Sorry I didn't mention that before but I didn't know it was relevant.

Edited by Ste, 21 February 2015 - 05:36 AM.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

what version of acronis are you using? it must support gpt and windows 8.

personally i'd try again with macrium reflect, here's a video tutorial :-

:popcorn:

oops missed your post, acronis does support cloning gpt but it needs to be the latest 2015 version as far as i'm aware.

Edited by terry1966, 21 February 2015 - 05:51 AM.

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Hi, thanks for that. I have successfully cloned the OS using Macrium as suggested. On testing the cloned sata HDD I find it much slower and also have to log in twice, a problem I have with another system. Is it just the HDD drive that is so much slower or could the cloning process have caused it to be slower? (I obviously had nothing to compare it with on this system as the OS was first installed on the SSD drive).

The clone would only be to install and recopy to the new drive after reformatting if it had a problem. Though I feel better having a copy, seeing the difference in speed has made me think in terms of buying another SSD drive to clone to. (paranoia?).

Though I was referring to the Acronis video ( https://kb.acronis.com/content/44741 ) when I said Acronis did not support GPT I presume that video is not up to date and my Acronis is 2013.

It looks like I'm sorted now so thanks for the help.

Steve.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

yes ssd's are much faster than a normal hard drive, no idea why you have the log in twice issue tho.

:popcorn:

Wizdom_09Z

Wizdom_09Z

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

An SSD being slower with an exact clone system-wise would indicate that likely you have the SSD plugged into an older SATA port on your motherboard - or not SATA 3. Moreover it could be non native (EG not Intel or AMD) but instead SI etc. Another issue is that you might not have AHCI enabled thus you're running in legacy IDE mode. Ideally what you want to do is change your original mech. SATA drive to the second port available that one is usually always native SATA 3 as well as the primary, then use your SSD on the primary SATA port (consult your motherboard manual).

How mine are setup_

SSD = SATA 1

Mech - HDD = SATA 2

Optical Drive = SATA 3

AHCI enabled.

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Hi, thanks for that. I have to say I'm not familiar with all the things you mention. I am not sure if you have misunderstood my previous posts. Are you thinking it is the SSD which is slow? I did mention that the SSD seems much faster than the HDD clone. Having said that I do have an issue with SATA 3 on my system and hope it is not too 'off subject' to mention it here.

(I have checked the BIOS and see that sata ports 1-4 & 5-6 are AHCI enabled).

I must admit I have not found the time to review connections and settings and make myself familiar with the BIOS since the first boot up.

The thing I am puzzled about is the USB 3 connection on the main board which is 12 rows of vertical pins. I have not found a connection to fit this. Does that mean the case is not suitable for the main board?

The order of the drives to the row of connectors is- 1st (top left) the SSD drive 2rd & 3th two other sata HDD drives and 4th the optical drive. These are listed in the manual as-  'AMD serial ATA 6.0 GB/s connections (7-pin SATA6G_1-6(brown).

These connections are the first 3 double rows. The last 2 connections are listed as-  'SMedia serial ATA 6.0 Gb/s connectors (7pin SATA6B_E12 (grey).

The main board is a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0.