Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My own BSOD encounter...

• Please log in to reply

CompaqBabe

CompaqBabe

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Hi guys.  You must be sick and tired of hearing about Blue Screens, but I've got one myself.  My computer has been acting okay since then, but something must be stirring up the stew for it to appear. What should I do the next time it pops up or what can I do to prevent it from happening again?  I want to thank all of you for your terrific help offering FREE computer advice.  You must have a s&%tload of good karma heading your way!  Please note I am not a computer expert.

My system:

Processor:  Intel core 2 duo CPU T555@ 1.836Hz

Memory: 3.00 GB

System type: 64 bit OS

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Hello CompaqBabe,

In order to better assist you, we will need the STOP code that is displayed during the BSoD.  If you do not remember the STOP error, I will provide a way so that you may share that information with us.

In addition to STOP codes, windows also provides valuable troubleshooting information in the Event Viewer. Event Viewer is available on all versions of Windows from XP to Windows 8. However, the process for accessing Event Viewer differs depending on your version.

To access Event Viewer in Windows XP:

• Click the Start Button.

• Click Control Panel.

• Click Performance and Maintenance.

• Click Administrative Tools.

• Click Computer Management.

• Find Event Viewer and Click it.

To access Event Viewer in Windows Vista, and Windows 7:

• Click the Start Button.

• Click Control Panel.

• Click System and Security.

• Click Administrative Tools.

• Click Event Viewer.

To access Event Viewer in Windows 8:

• Hit the Windows Key.

• Type in “View Events”.

• Hit enter.

Once you’ve accessed Event Viewer, the process for finding out what windows knows about your BSOD is the same across all versions of Windows. To do this:

• Select Windows Logs on the left side of the window.

• You will see a number of sub-categories. Selecting any of these categories will bring up a series of event logs in the center of the screen.

• Any BSOD errors are listed as “Error”.

• Double click any found errors to investigate.

Here you will be presented with any relevant information regarding your errors. Often this will simply display the STOP code reported by the error. However, other errors or warnings could provide clues to your BSOD’s cause.

You should be able to copy/paste the STOP error in your next reply. 

CompaqBabe

CompaqBabe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Okay, thanks for the advice.  I'll get back to you in a couple.