Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help so confused about IP address

• Please log in to reply

Lena1216

Lena1216

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I met someone on line who claims to be so honest, So honest he gave me his Email password. Said he doesn't  go anywhere or anyplace  in Emails to be shamed of.   Now today for the first time I Did and came across his IP address.  He lives in one state yet his IP address was another. Can that happen or is he lying to me where he lives?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Not sure I understand.  You have his email password so you can read his emails?  (You don't really go anywhere with emails.  You just send and receive them)  You do realize that he could have many different email accounts so the account you can read may be very innocent but he could have a separate one for each girl he knows on the Internet.    Gmail for example lets you have multiple different identities.  It used to be limited to 6 but I think it's higher now.  There are lots of different free email services so he could have a lot of accounts.

As far as the IP address goes, he could be using a proxy service where all traffic to and from his PC is relayed by a second computer (called a proxy).  The proxy can be in a different state or even a different country.  Sometimes proxies are used to get around Internet restrictions and sometimes in order to be anonymous and sometimes to speed up browsing. It should be possible to find out from the IP address if it's a proxy or not.  How exactly are you getting his IP address?  If you want to PM me with the IP address I will look it up and see what I can find out about it.

OpenSourcerer

OpenSourcerer

• PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
You can check the provider of the ip to tell if it is a vpn/proxy easily. If its something like "Comcast" "Time warner cable" "ATT" ect, that is a home ip. If you're not sure, google the provider. If there is anything related to dedicated servers, vpses, web hosting ect then it is probably a vpn/proxy IP.