Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

School Network Adapters?

• Please log in to reply

Safe Mode

Safe Mode

• Pip
  • 6 posts

So this year at my school, They introduced a program called Bring Your Own Device (BYOD), I computer techs at my school are always targeting me and blaming me for problems i didn't do. Anyways when i handed them my computer they required to have it for 2 hours, So i agreed as i wanted to be connected to the internet... They gave me my computer back and i started using the network :D

I was wondering what they would of needed to add? besides the password? and how could i check where the items are just to make shore it is legit and not spoofed, Thanks for reading 

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

they probably had it for 2 hours because of work logs or because they have to do a certain amount of checks before they let you connect to the primary network. at my business I do some fairly thorough scans of computers that I don't  own before they can connect to our production network. virus scans, update checks, all kinds of stuff.

they should have given you an outline of what work they were doing or what they did after the fact. if they didn't you should request one.

Safe Mode

Safe Mode

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Your 100% right, Thanks man i will be asking for a work log, I know they don't keep log but i'm shore they would need to fill paper out work?

and i like your user picture!

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

in my opinion all they probably needed it for was to check the mac address of the laptop so they could add it to their allowed/white list of devices that can connect to the network besides entering the ssd and password of the network of course,

and/or maybe add some vpn software required to access their network, but if they actually needed to install any software on your laptop i'd have expected them to let you know in advance so think this less likely. the 2 hr thing was probably just to give themselves plenty of time to get around to doing a 5 minute job.

like dsenette says tho, just ask them exactly what they needed to do without having to give you any privileged/secret details and if they installed any software onto it if your worried.

:popcorn:

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

We don't require checks here. Even I, who has just about everything the district doesn't want (And they know this) haven't once had my system checked