Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My PC is slow and wont load pages. [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Please do the following to remove stubborn remnants.

Step#1 - FRST Fix
NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system
1. Download attached file and save it to the Desktop. Attached File  fixlist.txt   260bytes   152 downloads
Note. It's important that both files, FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work (in this case...the desktop).
2. Run FRST64 by Right-Clicking on the file and choosing Run as administrator.
3. Press the Fix button just once and wait. If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
4. When finished FRST64 will generate a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please post the contents of it in your reply.

Advertisements

hammerman25

hammerman25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Fix result of Farbar Recovery Tool (FRST written by Farbar) (x64) Version: 18-02-2015 01
Ran by e at 2015-02-21 11:37:04 Run:3
Running from C:\Users\e\Desktop
Loaded Profiles: e (Available profiles: e)
Boot Mode: Normal
==============================================

Content of fixlist:
CreateRestorePoint:
unlock: C:\Users\e\AppData\Roaming\Rainmaker Software Group LLC.?
C:\Users\e\AppData\Roaming\Rainmaker Software Group LLC.?
C:\Users\e\Downloads\FLVPlayer-Chrome.exe
C:\Users\e\Downloads\Setup (1).exe
C:\Users\e\Downloads\Setup.exe

Restore point was successfully created.
"C:\Users\e\AppData\Roaming\Rainmaker Software Group LLC.?" => Error unlocking File/Diroctory.

"C:\Users\e\AppData\Roaming\Rainmaker Software Group LLC.?" directory move:

Here is my Fixlog.txt ~  

Could not move "C:\Users\e\AppData\Roaming\Rainmaker Software Group LLC.?" directory. => Scheduled to move on reboot.

C:\Users\e\Downloads\FLVPlayer-Chrome.exe => Moved successfully.
C:\Users\e\Downloads\Setup (1).exe => Moved successfully.
C:\Users\e\Downloads\Setup.exe => Moved successfully.

=> Result of Scheduled Files to move (Boot Mode: Normal) (Date&Time: 2015-02-21 11:39:47)<=

"C:\Users\e\AppData\Roaming\Rainmaker Software Group LLC.?" => Directory could not move.

==== End of Fixlog 11:39:47 ====

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Can you try the following?

1. Click on File Explorer that should be on your taskbar. FileExplorer.JPG

2. Type C:\Users\e\appdata into the address bar of file explorer and hit enter on your keyboard.

addressbar.JPG

3. You should see a Roaming folder. Double-click on this to open.

4. You should see a folder named Rainmaker Software Group LLC.?

5. Right-click on this folder and select delete. See if you can delete the folder. Let me know what happens. Thanks.

hammerman25

hammerman25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

I did what you said and it deleted the Rainmaker Software Group LLC. folder....I think. It's gone from the list anyway.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Excellent. Please do the following. How's your machine behaving now?

Step#1 - Security Check
1. Download Security Check from here or here or here.
2. Save it to your Desktop.
3. Right-click SecurityCheck.exe and select Run as administrator. Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
4. A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Note: Don't be alarmed if the process runs for 10 to 15 minutes before completing. If it runs for over 30 minutes, just close the program and try running it again.

NOTE: If SecurityCheck aborts and you get the following message: UNSUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEM! ABORTED! try rebooting the system and then run SecurityCheck again.

hammerman25

hammerman25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

My PC seems to be running faster but it is still having trouble loading web pages. This usually only happens after start up. Once I have reloaded the page once or twice, until it is fully opened, that page will open fully until the next start up. This has been going on basically since I have had this computer. I can live with this problem as long as it is running fast, which it seems to be doing now.

Here is my checkup.txt ~

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.96  

x64 (UAC is enabled)  
 Internet Explorer 10 Out of date! 
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:`````````````` 
 Windows Firewall Enabled!  
Windows Defender   
 WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update. 
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:````````` 
  Java 64-bit 8 Update 31  
 Adobe Flash Player 16.0.0.305  
 Adobe Reader 10.1.13 Adobe Reader out of Date!  
 Google Chrome (40.0.2214.111) 
 Google Chrome (40.0.2214.115) 
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````  
 Windows Defender MSMpEng.exe 
 Windows Defender MsMpEng.exe   
`````````````````System Health check````````````````` 
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C:  % 
````````````````````End of Log`````````````````````` 

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Does the issue happen with both IE and Chrome?

Now that you are malware free, let's get you buttoned up and plug some avenues for infection.

1. Keeping Java Updated
I had you remove your Java because it was old and mentioned that you would have an opportunity to update it later. Now is that time. If you don't use Java or don't know if you use Java I highly recommend just leaving it uninstalled and skipping this step. If you do need it then read on.

WARNING: Java is one of the most exploited programs at this time. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java. You can read more about this here.
I would recommend that you completely uninstall Java unless you need it to run an important software. If you need it or are unsure or uncomfortable with removing it then I would recommend that you disable Java in your browsers until you need it and then enable it at that time. (See How to disable Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser). If you don't uninstall it, it's also important that you follow the directions below to update to the latest version of Java.

1. Go to this page to download the latest version of Java SE Runtime Environment JRE 8 Update 31.
2. When you click this link you will need to click the "Accept License Agreement" radio button and then click on the "Windows x86 Offline" installer link. You will notice that there is also a Windows x64 link option, however even if you are using a 64-bit operating system, it's very likely you aren't running a 64-bit browser and should only download the "Windows x86 Offline" installer. To determine if you are using a 64-bit browser you can follow these instructions. If you find that you ARE using a 64-bit browser then you can download the "Windows x64" one.
8u31.JPG

3. Once you click on the appropriate link, please download this to your Desktop like we have with all of our tools.
4. Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
5. Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
6. Then from your desktop, right click on the file that was downloaded (jre-8u31-windows-i586.exe or jre-8u31-windows-x64.exe) and select Run as an Administrator to install the latest version. Accept all the defaults and you're good to go.
Note: Java has been notorious for installing foistware (software downloaded without the users knowledge). If you follow the instructions I provided no foistware will be installed but that doesn't mean it won't in the future. While performing the install of this software or any software for that matter, pay attention to each screen and ensure you uncheck any extra software that you don't want installed (i.e. Ask Toolbar, Chrome Browser, etc.).

2. Keep Adobe Reader Updated
1. Uninstall Adobe Reader. Click here for instructions on how to uninstall a program.
2. Install the newest version from this website.
Note: Make sure to uncheck the Optional Offer (i.e. Google Chrome, Google Toolbar) unless you really want it.
NOTE: You should disable JavaScript in the program as this is a highly exploitable method for the bad guys to get in your machine. Follow these instructions to disable it in Adobe Reader.
1. Open Adobe Reader
2. Select Edit from the menu and select Preferences
3. Click on JavaScript in the left column and uncheck Enable Acrobat JavaScript.
4. Click OK and close the program.
NOTE: Many installers, including Adobe Reader, offer third-party downloads that are installed automatically when you do not uncheck certain checkboxes. While most of the time not being malicious you usually do not want these on your computer. Be careful during the installation process and you will avoid seeing tons of new unwanted toolbars in your favorite web browser.

Lastly, is there a reason that you haven't updated to Windows 8.1?

Items for your next post

1. Does your Issue happen in IE & Chrome?

2. Is there a reason you haven't updated to Windows 8.1?

hammerman25

hammerman25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

I skipped the Java step.

I uninstalled Adobe Reader then re installed it following your instructions.

​IE is a whole other issue. On certain web sites my courser arrow is 'all jittery'. Royal Games for instance. It was like that when I got my computer so I switched to Chrome. Windows 8 was pretty new at that time.

Every time I have tried to download 8.1 it stops and tells me that the download has failed.

The old ball and chain is making me take her to dinner, I will be back in a couple of hours.

​Thanks for being so patient with me.

Edited by hammerman25, 21 February 2015 - 07:24 PM.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Would you like me to try and help you get Windows 8.1 installed?

hammerman25

hammerman25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Yes, please.

Advertisements

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

OK, you may want to review this document regarding the upgrade but I'll walk you through the process. As with any upgrade you always want to make sure you have a backup of your critical documents/data in case something goes wrong.

The first thing we need to do is to ensure that all Windows Updates are downloaded and installed. I don't think they are since you still have Internet Explorer 10. Please do the following.

Step#1 - FRST Fix
NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system
1. Download attached file and save it to the Desktop. Attached File  fixlist.txt   137bytes   152 downloads
Note. It's important that both files, FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work (in this case...the desktop).
2. Run FRST64 by Right-Clicking on the file and choosing Run as administrator.
3. Press the Fix button just once and wait. If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
4. When finished FRST64 will generate a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please post the contents of it in your reply.

Step#2 - Install All Windows Updates

1. Point to the lower left corner of your screen and click the Start Screen when it appears.

2. Type Windows Update on this screen and then click on the Settings group to see the search results.

3. Click on Check for updates.

4. Windows will check for updates. Install all of them that are found.

5. Repeat this process until no more updates are found to install. Let me know if any errors come up and what the error code is.

Let me know when this is all done.

hammerman25

hammerman25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I installed the updates. I ran FRST 64 before I installed the updates.

Here is my Fixlog.txt ~

Fix result of Farbar Recovery Tool (FRST written by Farbar) (x64) Version: 18-02-2015 01
Ran by e at 2015-02-21 23:16:35 Run:4
Running from C:\Users\e\Desktop
Loaded Profiles: e (Available profiles: e)
Boot Mode: Normal
==============================================

Content of fixlist:
cmd: ipconfig /release
cmd: ipconfig /renew
cmd: ipconfig /flushdns
cmd: netsh winsock reset all
cmd: netsh int ip reset all
Reboot:

=========  ipconfig /release =========

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection* 17 while it has its media disconnected.

========= End of CMD: =========

=========  ipconfig /renew =========

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection* 17 while it has its media disconnected.
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection* 12 while it has its media disconnected.
No operation can be performed on Bluetooth Network Connection while it has its media disconnected.
No operation can be performed on Ethernet while it has its media disconnected.

=========  ipconfig /flushdns =========

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

=========  netsh winsock reset all =========

Sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog.
You must restart the computer in order to complete the reset.

=========  netsh int ip reset all =========

Resetting Global, OK!
Resetting Interface, OK!
Resetting Neighbor, OK!
Resetting Path, OK!
Resetting , failed.
Access is denied.

Resetting , OK!
Restart the computer to complete this action.

The system needed a reboot. 

==== End of Fixlog 23:16:38 ====

Edited by hammerman25, 21 February 2015 - 11:33 PM.

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

OK, let's go ahead and try to download Windows 8.1 from the Store.

1. Click the Start Screen.

2. Click the Store icon.

3. Click the Windows 8.1 Update icon.

Let me know how it goes.

hammerman25

hammerman25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

​I got Windows 8.1 to download. You are the nutz, Brian....and being the nutz is a good thing.  :spoton:  

BrianDrab

BrianDrab

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,591 posts

Awesome news! Now that Windows 8.1 is installed I would continue to check for updates to ensure that you have all of them and are current.

Step#1 - Install All Windows Updates

1. Point to the lower left corner of your screen and click the Start Screen when it appears.

2. Type Windows Update on this screen and then click on the Settings group to see the search results.

3. Click on Check for updates.

4. Windows will check for updates. Install all of them that are found.

5. Repeat this process until no more updates are found to install. Let me know if any errors come up and what the error code is.

Other than that how is IE and Chrome working for you now?