Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Chrome Install Infection

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

Don't see any of it left.  There might be a task but Combofix doesn't look in the right place for them.  Only FRST in the addition.txt log.  Won't hurt to install Avast now.

Once it updates set it up to do a boot-time scan tonight while you sleep:

How to do a boot-time scan while you sleep:
First mute the speakers so it won't wake you up when Windows loads.  Click on the Orange ball.  Click on Scan, then Scan for Viruses and wait a couple of minutes for the page to change.  Change Quickscan to Boot-time Scan.  Click on Settings.  Where it says Heuristic Sensitivity click on the last rectangle so that all of them are  orange and it says High.  Check both boxes.  Then change When a threat is found ... to:  Move to Chest.  OK.  Now click on Start.  Close the Avast window and then reboot.  The scan will start.  It will tell you where it will save the report.  Usually it's 
C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report\aswBoot.txt but it might change so verify the location.  When Windows loads Click on the Orange Ball then Scan, Then Scan History (at the bottom of the page). Click on the last scan and then Detailed Report.  If it found anything then open the aswBoot.txt file and copy and paste it.  If you can't find it then take a screen shot of the Detailed Report:

Advertisements

chosen072

chosen072

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Avast is installed

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

Good.  Make sure you run the boot-time scan tonight.  I'm going to be off line until Sat afternoon.  Got volunteered by my wife to help at the Grant seafood festival.  I think my job is to collect oyster shells to be used for making oyster beds.  Trying to restore the lagoon.  

Stick with Avast for a while and see how you like it.  Some people object to the voice notification of updates.  To turn it off, click on the Avast ball then on Settings then on Appearance.  Then on Sounds and uncheck Automatic Updates OK.  (It will still update it just won't tell you about in a loud voice in the middle of the night.)

They have also started using their info popup to try and get you to upgrade so I go into Settings, Appearance, Popups and change the first two to 1 second.  Their Browser Cleanup is not so user friendly since it wants to reset your home page and search engine to Yahoo so I go into Settings, Tools, and turn it off.

If you haven't registered already then right click on the orange ball and select Registration Information and click on the link.  (They just want you name and email address).  The registration is good for 12-14 months then you will need to register again.  They will, of course, try to talk you into buying the product but you can always register again for another year free tho it may not be the default.

chosen072

chosen072

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

That sounds like a lot fun and a great cause. Good luck at the festival.

Avast seems to be running fine. I do like it.

I did do the boot-time scan however I didn't find the log report but I'll keep looking and post it or run another scan.

The good thing is before it would take my machine an hour to go through update cycles but now it just updates in less then 15 minutes.

Thanks so much

chosen072

chosen072

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I shut down my computer yesterday and when I turned it back on it turns on for a second then turns off and it kept doing the turn on, turn off thing until I take the battery out. I'm not sure what happened or what to do to fix it. I tried taking out the battery and unplugging it but I'm getting the same response. Do you have a suggestion.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

Do you see the PC maker's logo before it restarts?  Does it start to load windows?  Does it make any beep noises?  

chosen072

chosen072

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
No when It comes on the screen is black, the laptop runs for a sec, makes a clicking sound then turns off and continues the cycle

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

Doesn't sound good.  You can pull the RAM and the hard drive (and CD/DVD) and see if it stays on or at least acts differently.  There may also be a wireless card or a network card that you can pull.

chosen072

chosen072

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Do I need to take her to the computer doctor? I'm not sure how to pull the above

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

what make and model number is the computer?

Advertisements

chosen072

chosen072

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

unfortunately my baby girl passed on, the motherboard died. I did purchase a new hp laptop with windows 8 and I'm wondering what virus protection program is good out there? Thank you for all your help

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,623 posts
  • MVP

If you want to pay for it then get Kaspersky or BitDefender.  We seldom get PS in the forum with either.

Otherwise the free Avast is what I use for all of my PCs.  Avast:

Download, Save, and right click and Run As Administrator.

Some people object to the voice notification of updates.  To turn it off, click on the Avast ball then on Settings then on Appearance.  Then on Sounds and uncheck Automatic Updates OK.  (It will still update it just won't tell you about in a loud voice in the middle of the night.)

They have also started using their info popup to try and get you to upgrade so I go into Settings, Appearance, Popups and change the first two to 1 second.  Their Browser Cleanup is not so user friendly since it wants to reset your home page and search engine to Yahoo so I go into Settings, Tools, and turn it off.

If you haven't registered already then right click on the orange ball and select Registration Information and click on the link.  (They just want you name and email address).  The registration is good for 12-14 months then you will need to register again.  They will, of course, try to talk you into buying the product but you can always register again for another year free tho it may not be the default.

chosen072

chosen072

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Thanks so much. I'm going to download it now.