Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New CPU fails (Solved)

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

After replacing the CMOS battery, start, enter the BIOS, > check time and date, > go to the exit menu, > select default or safe setting, (not performance) > save settings and exit. 

Advertisements

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts

I can not believe it .... looks like the problem is solved oO

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts
BUT: When I run Prime it shows me a Max Temp of 100 Celsius(with the tool core temp)

But no BSOD anymore when running Prime

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Good call Fusionbamb.   Could have been corrupted BIOS setting.

Prime is very severe, so stop using for the moment.  that temp is to high.

try using the PC normally, run a video game, see what your temps are like.

You should be about 35C idle and no more than 70C under load.

If you are around the 70C mark we will need to look further.

Sorry very late here, so off to bed, 

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts
I think it was my mistake. The CPU Fan didn't worked because a cable was in the way (what a silly mistake by me). I restarted and ran prime (Max Temp of 80 Celsius) again and then got another BSOD. So, last time I'm resetting CMOS. I think the not working fan again damaged the BIOS as it was working before without a BSOD.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

return both items is my advice.

:popcorn:

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts
OK, found the issue: Mainboard is damaged. On the socket one pin is bent ... but to be sure I will replace CPU and Mainboard. It was an interesting journey

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I have had that expensive journey myself.

When you get the new parts, suggest you do a Bare Bones build/test first. remember to take anti static measures. 

Place the MB on the empty MB box, > Install the CPU and cooler, > turn the board over and check that the four white barbed locking pins that poke through the board are fully engaged. > connect the cooler fan plug to the CPU sys1 header. > install the RAM in the correct slots, > connect the two main power cables, > connect the monitor to the onboard video plug, > switch on the monitor, > turn on the PSU, push the power on button on the MB, (if present) or, use a small screwdriver,  short out the power on pins on the front panel header.

PSU/CPU fans should spin up, you should get a message on the monitor, "no boot device detected" or similar.  If success.

Switch everything off, remove cabling, > proceed with the usual installation.

This is the Intel CPU install guide, . > http://www.<span sty...b/CS-030860.htm

Good luck.

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts
I will let you informed when the new parts arrive. :)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

OK Machiavelli :thumbsup: 

Advertisements

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts
Got the same parts back I sent to them (online store) as they couldn't reproduce the error.

But I think I found the error, the Mainboard is damaged, not the CPU.

I have 4 Ram Slots. I have tested each one.

Slot 1 -> BSOD
Slot 2 -> No BSOD
Slot 3 -> No BSOD
Slot 4 -> BSOD

Slot 2&3 -> BSOD

It were all times 5 Minutes test. (I use Prime95 to test it)

Now, I do a 10 Minutes test for Socket 2 to see if there is a BSOD.

EDIT: After a 10 Minute test again BSOD

I hate this system, I can not believe it.

My PSU is Coolermaster Bronze 550W which didn't made these error before. Can it be that there is a voltage issue?

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

i'd contact the online store again and tell them straight, you've run numerous tests that are repeatable and give bsod so there is definitely a problem which could be either cpu or motherboard and want the items replaced or you will seek further legal advice, the problem seems to be related to memory and those 2 ram slots and because the memory controller is on the cpu (think that's correct with that cpu you might want to check first tho.) it could be either cpu or motherboard, explain in detail what you've done to test things and i think you'll find they will replace both for you, also get them to cover your costs for the returns too after wasting your time.

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts
Yes, it isn't that easy. It could be also just a simple BIOS setting which could solve my issue.

Thanks

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

no not really, if it was a bad bios setting then a single stick of ram wouldn't give you the bsod on only 2 of the 4 ram slots, it would bsod on none or all 4 of them.

no doubt in my mind it is faulty cpu or motherboard and i'd certainly pursue getting the company that sold them to you to change them.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Completely agree with terry1966, faulty MB/CPU,  If you have cleared the CMOS and interred BIOS, selected Default setting on the Exit menu, Saved setting, Exit? and the issue remains, then not incorrect setting causing the BSOD.

Have you tested the RAM with Memtest86+?