Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unidentified Network, No internet access on Windows 7

unidentified network windows 7 no internet access

• Please log in to reply

cajam5

cajam5

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello!

We recently installed a new router, and all of the computers and devices in our house have been able to connect to the internet EXCEPT my laptop.

When I turn on my laptop, my internet says “Unidentified Network. No Internet access.” I have researched and tried many solutions online, but none have seemed to work.

Here's what I see: http://tinypic.com/r/j808t3/8

I’ve tried starting my computer in safe mode with networking, and it still won’t connect.

The internet works if I connect my laptop directly to the router.

At this point, I have no idea what to do.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Here is my laptop’s info:

Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit

Dell Inspiron 3521

Intel Core i3-3227U CPU

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Howszit? and welcome to GtoG.

Check if your Wifi adapter was set to use manual IP addresses.  If the direct UTEP cable works ok, it maybe that the WiFi network was set to an address that no longer supports the new router.  Go to the Network and sharing center and check the adapter settings.  It should show that you are connected to an unidentified network.  Click on the connection that is active and then the details button and see if DCHP is enabled and IP addresses you have.  Click on the IP4 and then properties to check what settings it has, if its not set to automatically obtain addresses, change it in both the IP and DNS selections.  

Windows will normally ask you to identify a new network connection as to what type it is.  If the system didn't ask you this, then you are not actually connecting to the new router and gateway properly.  If its a home network choose Home, If you don't want to give others access to your system, choose public.

Hope this helps...

Edited by Mark D, 22 February 2015 - 11:19 AM.

cajam5

cajam5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi!

I tried that, and no luck.

HOWEVER, we were able to resolve the issue. Can't say how exactly because there was a lot of fiddling around.

Thanks!

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Great to hear that your system is no longer WiFi challenged.  Sometimes telling your system to forget a known Wifi connection and resetting it works as well.  Keep it simple as you can normally works the best..

Cheers..