Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to Renew IP Address

• Please log in to reply

Wildcater

Wildcater

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: Getting very frustrated. I am running an SBC DSL modem with a linksys b wireless router in my home. I have a desktop that uses a wireless usb card and it is connected all the time and works well. I have a laptop that also uses a wireless card but recently, it is either not connecting to the internet or if it does, I lose the signal all the time. I have tried going to run-cmd-ipconfig /release-ipconfig /renew but it is not finding an ip to work on. I have compared the setup of my laptop and desktop wireless cards and both look identical. My desktop is running XP Home and the laptop is XP Professional.
Based on my desktop performing well all the time, I am confident that the modem and router are working properly. I also know that signal strength is not the issue as the desktop is in the basement, the router on the main floor, and I work on my laptop in the same room as the router.
What other options can I try? I take my laptop on the road and frequently connect to wireless networks in hotels, bookstores, etc. If I had hair, I'd pull it out
!!!
Thanks.

Advertisements

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
should do .. try to install modem again ;. well i think it do it

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I have the same service provider. The terrible truth is they are running out of IP addresses to give out. Sometimes for hours at a time I can't connect. My understanding is that they're going to require that everyone switch to a login on demand as the users who are always connected are hogging the IPs. :tazz:

SkyHi

SkyHi

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hrm, do you have a default gateway. I've had problems with connecting on wireless, and I wasn't able to ?see a default gateway. I put the ? becuase I don't know much about the default gateway, and I'll research it soon, though.

-SkyHi

PS- See the default gateway in ipconfig.