Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

unlocking a hard drive

unlock hard drive help

• Please log in to reply

sabrathan

sabrathan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
so my mom got a computer back with a locked hard drive and I'm trying to unlock it for her. It's a toshiba with windows 7.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by sabrathan, 26 February 2015 - 05:28 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts

:welcome:    sabrathan,

Not sure what you mean by the hard drive being locked so can you tell us what happens when you press the power button.

TIP

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

sabrathan

sabrathan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It asks for an unlocking code

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

This is an important few questions, please answer them so we know exactly what is happening.

Firstly the message you are seeing, either describe fully exactly what it says, or better take a photo and show us please.

Secondly, is it definitely saying the words "Unlock code", or is it asking for a user password?

Thirdly, if your Mother has just got it back, where was it and where from?

Nev.

sabrathan

sabrathan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It goes from the Toshiba loading screen straight to this HDD/SSD Password. I believe my mother took it locally, but it has been a while so I doubt she remembers. She was told it was fine, but never got to use the new hard drive. The old one was corrupted, so she had it replaced with this one.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

Edited by sabrathan, 26 February 2015 - 05:26 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts

The computer needs to be returned to the store that swapped out the hard drives as we cannot assist with bypassing security passwords, as per the GTG TOU;

Due to the nature of online help we are not able to verify ownership, and will not be able to help bypass or recover any user passwords, cd keys, license codes, serial numbers, etc.

GTG TOU here

If they set pre installed passwords the store should have provided a document with any security passwords clearly identified, alternatively check in the battery housing to see if they have placed a sticker with the details on it in there.

FWIW: tech stores do not normally pre install passwords as it causes them too much grief with returns when people either forget/lose or accidentally change the pre set passwords, have you tried leaving the password field blank or tried admin as the password, other than that it needs to go back to the store.