Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help to remove TR/Crypt.xpack.gen3 on Win7 please.

• Please log in to reply

IBGrizzly

IBGrizzly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Thanks for the help.  Went through the clean up and installed the recommended programs with no problems.

Still have one question.  I have a WD Passport external drive that I have been using for backups and to store some archives.  It was connected when Trojan activated.

How is the best way to make sure this drive is clean and usable?  I would rather not reformat if possible as there my be some archive files from the previous notebook but will if that is what is required.

Would connecting to drive using Ubuntu, do online scan of files, pull data files to dvd then fully scan dvd before accessing files in Win be a reasonable plan?

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

I think the online scan with ubuntu should be safe enough.  Then connect it up to windows and do another scan.