Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer running slow and browser not blocking popups

• Please log in to reply

Zambian

Zambian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Here is the new VEW.txt file, there seems to be more errors associated with the hard drive,

Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows Vista in English
Report run at 21/03/2015 10:42:34 AM

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'System' Log - Error Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 21/03/2015 2:34:48 AM
Type: Error Category: 403
Event: 412 Source: Microsoft-Windows-TaskScheduler
Task Scheduler service failed to launch tasks triggered by computer startup. Additional Data: Error Value: 2147942402. User Action: restart task scheduler service.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 21/03/2015 1:34:43 AM
Type: Error Category: 0
Event: 7 Source: disk
The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 21/03/2015 1:19:08 AM
Type: Error Category: 403
Event: 412 Source: Microsoft-Windows-TaskScheduler
Task Scheduler service failed to launch tasks triggered by computer startup. Additional Data: Error Value: 2147942402. User Action: restart task scheduler service.

'System' Log - Warning Type
Log: 'System' Date/Time: 21/03/2015 2:36:06 AM
Type: Warning Category: 0
Event: 75 Source: Microsoft-Windows-PrintSpooler
The print spooler failed to regenerate the printer driver information for driver Brother DCP-115C USB Printer for environment Windows NT x86. Win32 system error code 578 (0x242). This can occur after an operating system upgrade or because of data loss on the hard drive.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 21/03/2015 2:35:23 AM
Event: 73 Source: Microsoft-Windows-PrintSpooler
The print spooler failed to verify printer driver package Brother DCP-115C USB Printer for environment Windows NT x86. Win32 system error code 2 (0x2). This can occur after an operating system upgrade or because of data loss on the hard drive. The print spooler will try to regenerate the driver information from the driver store, which is where drivers are saved before they are installed. No user action is required.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 21/03/2015 1:20:16 AM
Event: 75 Source: Microsoft-Windows-PrintSpooler
The print spooler failed to regenerate the printer driver information for driver Brother DCP-115C USB Printer for environment Windows NT x86. Win32 system error code 578 (0x242). This can occur after an operating system upgrade or because of data loss on the hard drive.

Log: 'System' Date/Time: 21/03/2015 1:19:24 AM
Event: 73 Source: Microsoft-Windows-PrintSpooler
The print spooler failed to verify printer driver package Brother DCP-115C USB Printer for environment Windows NT x86. Win32 system error code 2 (0x2). This can occur after an operating system upgrade or because of data loss on the hard drive. The print spooler will try to regenerate the driver information from the driver store, which is where drivers are saved before they are installed. No user action is required.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Not quite.  It should look something like:

http://www.hddstatus...cation=47121E02

which the one for my drive.

Still showing a bad block in the  event log.  Did the Disk check really run?  Usually it takes several hours to complete.  I'm worried that with the task scheduler throwing errors the disk check might not actually start.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Bed time for me.

Zambian

Zambian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

G,Day from W.A. you were right disc check hadn,t run as i thought so i have run it a couple of times over the weekend and everything is looking much cleaner, i also ran defrag to help it along. must have been a stomach ache from cryptoprevent.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Where in western Australia are you?  I'm currently in Melbourne Beach Florida but we are planning a trip to Australia/New Zealand in the near future.  What would be a good month to come when it's not too hot?  Living in Florida we see enough miserably hot days so we don't want to come in your summer.  How are your winters?  Do you get snow?

Are you still seeing the block error in VEW?

I'm starting to think it wasn't really cryptoprevent as it should have no effect on the hard drive.  All it does is set a bunch of policies to keep malware from running in odd locations.  May just have been a hard drive oops.  You should probably think about cloning the drive before it fails completely.

Zambian

Zambian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Hello K, I am in Perth on the west coast, like most continents the west coast is semi desert, Here we have winter rain and dry summer. The East coast is much cooler with mountain ranges with some snow in the winter, they have ski resorts, The hottest time of the year would be Dec. to Feb. Winter and the cold would be from around June to October. but with Global warming expect the unexpected.

Vew has only two errors, The printer spool not activating, although the printer works fine, and a failure for the checkdisc to start the scheduled scan, but that is also running now, 

At startup i get an error message that a program called wondershare studio failed to start, I have no idea what program that is, search fails to find anything like that.

If i were you i would allow more time for New Zealand, its a beautiful country with mountain ranges, beaches and everything in between.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

wondershare is Wondershare Video Converter.  A legitimate program but it looks like it was uninstalled and didn't  do a good job of removing itself.  We can clean it up with a FRST fixlist.

I am wondering if the printer error is caused because you have a lot of the Brother software turned off in MSCONFIG.

MSCONFIG\Services: Brother XP spl Service => 2

MSCONFIG\Services: BrYNSvc => 3
MSCONFIG\startupreg: BrMfcWnd => C:\Program Files\Brother\Brmfcmon\BrMfcWnd.exe /AUTORUN
MSCONFIG\startupreg: BrStsMon00 => C:\Program Files\Browny02\Brother\BrStMonW.exe /AUTORUN
MSCONFIG\startupreg: ControlCenter3 => C:\Program Files\Brother\ControlCenter3\brctrcen.exe /autorun

My daughter dated a guy from Perth once and even lived there for a while.  They were planning on getting married but she didn't get along with his parents and I don't think she liked Perth.  Said it was hot and they didn't like to run the AC.    How cold is it in the winter?  If there is not much snow, it might make a welcome change from the miserable Florida summer.

Zambian

Zambian

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Hi, sorry your daughter didn,t like Perth, i suppose you have to let it grow on you. Many of the young ones think it is too quiet, me i like it that way. The weather suits me, we only get at the most a week of real hot weather in the summer ( +40 degC ) and the winter is mild except for the rain, Australia only gets snow in the winter over on the East in the mountains. This time of the year we get cyclones up in the North but they are only a problem if you get caught.

I downloaded and installed the latest software from Brother, i wonder if those files may be left over from the first install.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

When something is turned off in msconfig it can't be removed by the uninstaller so won't get updated.  It's best to make sure you have nothing related to the program you want to update in msconfig before uninstalling and reinstalling.  That's probably why you are getting the printer errors in the event log.  I would take them out of msconfig and then try uninstalling and reinstalling.  msconfig should be used only to see if a program is causing a problem.  If you don't want it to run you should uninstall it.

From what my daughter told me I expect she was there during the one week of 40 C.  Main problem tho was the future in laws.