Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intel Rapid Storage Technology problems and DVD disappearing

Intel Rapid Storage Technolog DVD disappearing

• Please log in to reply

CodeMonk

CodeMonk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit
Gateway Laptop NV55C (I would upgrade ut currently not working so a major hardware upgrade is gonna have to wait 
I've got the latest SATA AHCI Driver for my system according to Gateway.
As for the latest Intel RST software/drivers, I have version 9.6.2.1001 on the IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe file, which is the same version as the SATA drivers I found on the Gateway site.
All drivers are current even. The bios is the latest one available.

Lately, the last few weeks, I have been having problem with my DVD drive disappearing.
In the Intel RST app, its shows my HD on Internal Port 0; and Internal Port 1 as empty.
I've only just checked this status after my DVD disappeared.
I'm guessing that my DVD is on Port 1 because I get a dialog popping up saying something about Port 1 being removed. Then my DVD drive is gone.

If I reboot, it comes back.
And it may stay for 5 minutes or 5 days (or more), then the DVD just disappears with the Intel RST popup.

Intel_RST_Popup_001_zpsxpfw8lbz.gif

It worked 1 hour 12 minutes this time.
The time before the last one it lasted about 5 minutes.
The last time, about an an hour and I was in the process of creating a system image and got about 4 discs in before the DVD disappeared.

I may not be doing anything particular, youtube, working (EagleCad and other Circuit board and schematic design software, and related utilities), general web browsing. Nothing special and nothing I haven't been doing for years.

I do Windows updates on a fairly regular basis (At least once every 2 week if not once a week)
This does kind of have me wondering if a recent Windows update broke something.
It would not be the first time I have seen that happen.

And as a side note, although its been 7+ years, I used to work in IT repairing pretty much everything, so I'm comfortable getting waist deep into the guts of anything computer related if need be.

System Report

System Information
OS name: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
OS version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 7601
System name: ROB-PC
System manufacturer: Gateway
System model: NV55C
Processor: GenuineIntel Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5 1.999 GHz
BIOS: InsydeH2O Version V1.05, ACRSYS - 1

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology
Kit installed: 9.6.2.1001
User interface version: 9.6.2.1001
Language: English (United States)
Intel AHCI controller: Intel® 5 Series 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller
Number of SATA ports: 2
Driver version: 9.6.2.1001
ISDI version: 9.6.2.1001

Device Information
Disk on port 0
Port location: Internal
Size: 305 GB
Serial number: 58NSC2HCT
Model: TOSHIBA MK3252GSX
Firmware: LV010M
System disk: Yes
Password protected: No
Disk data cache: Enabled
Native command queuing: Yes
SATA transfer mode: Generation 1
Physical sector size: 512 Bytes
Logical sector size: 512 Bytes

Empty port
Port: 1

After a reboot, Port 1 shows this:
Disk on port 1
Size: 0 GB
Serial number: UK71 857857
Model: MATSHITADVD-RAM UJ890AS
Firmware: 1.00
System disk: No
Password protected: No
Disk data cache: Disabled
Native command queuing: No
SATA transfer mode: Generation 1
Physical sector size: 0 Bytes
Logical sector size: 0 Bytes

Thanks

Advertisements

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi and  :welcome:

Considering you have no problem with looking around inside, (Usual warning to disconnect all power and touch the chassis to remove static risk)

Have you checked all the connections to the disk drive?

Remove the plugs completely and replace, one at a time, as your description does sound a lot like a loose or poor connection somewhere!

Nev.

CodeMonk

CodeMonk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi and  :welcome:

Considering you have no problem with looking around inside, (Usual warning to disconnect all power and touch the chassis to remove static risk)

Have you checked all the connections to the disk drive?

Remove the plugs completely and replace, one at a time, as your description does sound a lot like a loose or poor connection somewhere!

Nev.

Actually, I just took it apart for another reason...

(Microphone jack was busted, so I took it out and soldered some wires in there to add one externally later ( I have plenty of jacks, but none the right size )).

So far I'm going on just over 2 hours and still have the DVD.

But its gone longer than that before it disappeared.

Everything was still connected.

BTW, I have been working in electronics since 1981, either for a living or just as a hobby.(assembler, tech, pseudo engineer (I've designed circuits, but learned it all either on the job or on my own, no degree, but have taken a few basic classes at college/university).

Worked on everything from automated sprinkler systems to space probes (Used to work at NASA/JPL, another lifetime ago).

Also spent a number of years as a tech doing computer/network repair, programming, etc. 

These days I stick mostly to fixing guitar amps and repairing/designing/building guitar effects pedals.

And I have had issues like this before, and sometimes just pulling a plug out and putting it back in can fix things.

I don't know why the [bleep] I didn't think of that myself :)

Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'll update you here over the next few days or if it disappears again.

Thanks

Edited by CodeMonk, 23 February 2015 - 08:00 AM.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

OK thanks for the feedback and let us know if it goes again. However it is surprisingly common to have connection problems in computers with there being so many connectors with some so small and lots of them.

Similar background to yourself and now retired, electronics and radio for a hobby which stood the test in my work as a maintenance electrician and engineer, when so much machinery is now from just basic electronic switching through to fully programmable CNC controls, with processing cards that make a computer motherboard look simple. Incidentally, they also are prone to the odd poor connection too.

Nev.