Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't use Windows or boot in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

danby_ll

danby_ll

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, this is my problem. It's been frustrating me beyond belief and I don't know what to do anymore. Please help!!

My machine was infected with edmond.exe and the other programs that go along with it (desktop.exe, mfiltis.exe or whatever it's called, etc). I couldn't remove them using McAfee virus scan, Adaware, Spybot S&D or Hijackthis. So I did a search online and found instructions on how to get rid of them. Still nothing was working. One site told me to dowload a program called Kapskersy AV Personal. I did, and installed it and then was asked to reboot. When I did, Windows would open but then freeze up right away. Windows starts to load my programs such as MSN messenger and then loads Kapskersy but it starts going so slow. I can't close anything. I can't use Ctrl + Alt + delete to cancel anything. When I click on any program (such as Hijackthis), it won't open. Control panel won't open. Mozilla won't open. I just click and nothing happens. I always end up manually shutting off my computer and turning it back on, and the same thing keeps happening.

So I tried to reboot in safe mode using F8, but it won't work. It gives me the option, but then just brings up a black screen listing a bunch of files or whatever.

I really don't know what to do anymore. Could someone please try to help me?

Sorry if my description isn't very technical, but I'm not great with computers.

Thank you so much to whoever replies!

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Go to This Thread and follow the instructions to the letter..

Once you have finished, post an HJT log in the Malware Forum and let the guru's there take a look when they get the chance!!

Murray

danby_ll

danby_ll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for your quick reply. However, I can't even open HJT in order to scan and post a log. I can't open any programs in Windows.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
That "bunch of files or whatever" were probably the options you get when you use the Safe Mode Option with XP..

Take a look at them.. Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking (allows internet access) should be a couple of the options!!

Murray

danby_ll

danby_ll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I can get to the screen that asks me to choose which mode to open with. I go to safe mode, hit enter, and then a black screen comes up with a long list of this:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\system32\ ...

and continues like that.

What is this??

I tried again opening with safe mode and this screen came up. However, I waited and after a few minutes, Windows opened. But it didn't appear to be in safe mode, even though I chose the safe mode option. Everything was like before, and it's still freezing up and not letting me open any programs.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
How many partitions on your c: drive??

Murray

danby_ll

danby_ll

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Actually I finally got Windows to load. It took about 10 minutes to start up but I can finally open programs. I still have the spyware though. I posted my HJT log in the other forum.
Thanks for your help!

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You're welcome!!

Murray