Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows corrupt file error

windows error xp please help

• Please log in to reply

killerz180

killerz180

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hi i get this windows xp error saying \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

is corrupt and I need to repair it with selecting r option in recovery etc.

when i try run in safe mode i get the same error. I tried reinstalling windows xp but it gets stuck on searching for previous versions of windows...

I cannot click r for the recovery console because when i click it the system just restarts.

I get the same errors as this thread http://www.geekstogo...s-microsoft-wi/

But im running windows xp on PC. I have no idea what to do i haven't been on my PC for like 5 months now, I need help guys please.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

:welcome:    killerz180,

Couple of questions if I may;

Have you changed the boot sequence so that the CD/DVD drive is the first boot device and the hard drive is the second, if yes did you save the settings before exiting the BIOS and do the settings remain the same when you restart the computer.

What type of XP disk do you have as in full retail or an OEM disk etc and from where was it obtained.

killerz180

killerz180

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hello yes i've put it to boot from cd/dvd 1st and the hard drive second, i save the settings when i exit the BIOS and they stay the same. As in the Cd/DVD is first boot and the hard drive is second. The disc i have i bought it from Ebay from a confirmed seller, the disc is called Recovery Disk Home Edition Microsoft Windows xp. I have reinstalled windows xp many times with this disc when I get a problem or something but this time it wont let me.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
I have reinstalled windows xp many times with this disc when I get a problem or something

Are you saying that you have previously used the disk that you have to fully format the hard drive and then install a full fresh version of XP?

The reason that I ask you to confirm this is because only proper XP disks from Microsoft or OEM disks specifically from the likes of Dell and HP have all of the necessary software to carry out a full NTFS format of the HDD and then a full installation of the OS, third party recovery disks only have the bare minimum of software such as boot repair files and drivers etc and cannot be used for anything else, this may explain why you are having this issue as in the disk that you have does not contain the required Microsoft XP files to carry out the repair.

Is there data on the hard drive that you would like to try and recover and do you have access to another computer that has internet connectivity, let us know just in case it is the HDD itself that has problems such as bad sectors etc.

killerz180

killerz180

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hmm, i bought the disc from a Ebay seller it was confirmed that he is selling from a shop i think. When i have reinstalled the windows xp previous times yes it asks me to format the ntfs partition or something like that, and it just installs a fresh windows xp and i have to download the drivers using a disc. However, now when i try and install Windows Xp it be's on blue screen and some loading bar at the bottom comes up and loads other files and then it says searching for previous windows versions...   And i left it there for like 1 hour and nothing happens. I tried this a few times and i get the same problem. I can send you a picture of the disc if you want. 

I dont rlly need the data stored on the drive i just want my PC back lol. I do have another laptop which im using right now with internet.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

A picture of the disk would be good  :thumbsup:

now when i try and install Windows Xp it be's on blue screen and some loading bar at the bottom comes up and loads other files and then it says searching for previous windows versions..

This suggests that a repair is being attempted and not a full NTFS format and fresh install, are you given the option to format the HDD.

I may not be around now until Sunday but will leave you with the details for testing the HDD, another member may drop in meanwhile and sorry for any inconvenience.

Run the HDDs diagnostics tool;
Make sure you select the tool that is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive but if unsure of the brand Seatools works well with most of them http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
Depending on the program it'll create a bootable floppy or a bootable DVD/CD.
If the downloaded file is the .iso type use ImgBurn to burn the .iso file to a DVD/CD disk depending on your OS (select "Write image file to disc" option) and make the disk bootable.

RE ImgBurn: please use the custom install and uncheck the attached foistware such as "Install Entrusted Toolbar etc

killerz180

killerz180

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

you shouldve provided me with links, im not good with this kinda stuff. I have win XP and it doesn't tell me to format hdd, also do you mean burn the thing onto a cd and try it in my pc?

killerz180

killerz180

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

how do i test the HDD? or do hdd diagnostics?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

I did provide links, one for tacktech and one for ImgBurn, just click on them and then follow the steps provided there, ImgBurn is what you use to burn a bootable disk btw.

Run the HDDs diagnostics tool;
Make sure you select the tool that is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive but if unsure of the brand Seatools works well with most of themhttp://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Depending on the program it'll create a bootable floppy or a bootable DVD/CD.
If the downloaded file is the .iso type use ImgBurn to burn the .iso file to a DVD/CD disk depending on your OS (select "Write image file to disc" option) and make the disk bootable.

RE ImgBurn: please use the custom install and uncheck the attached foistware such as "Install Entrusted Toolbar etc

You offered to post a picture of the disk that you have, can you do so for us please.

Tip
If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

killerz180

killerz180

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

How do i know what hardrive my pc has and the tech link you sent me which one do i download, i have windows xp 32bit, I can't tell theres so many downloads. Also ill provide you with a picture im busy right now, ill post it in the afternoon

Edited by killerz180, 01 March 2015 - 06:50 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
if unsure of the brand Seatools works well with most of themhttp://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287

Seatools for DOS is the one you want.

Offline myself shortly but will check back after work so the picture will do then.

killerz180

killerz180

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hey I've found a really interesting Disc i had in my disc rack and i tried it in my pc and booted it. It's the one that says bootable disc repair tools. Heres the images i dont know what to do though. 

2cr57o5.jpg

9h1dw2.jpg

alruxt.jpg

2roksgh.jpg

2v0ikhz.jpg

Do you have skype or something where we can live chat maybe whatsapp or something

killerz180

killerz180

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hey uhm, I put my normal xp disk the recovery disc in and when it says press f6 for raid drivers or something, i clicked f5 there was an option saying 'SCPI or something and another one saying 'other' I chose the SCPI and it downloaded windows XP. It seems to be abit laggy on games alittle but maybe cuz its getting use to being run again. But yeah, thanks for your help ill give you reputation.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

All credit to you killerz180  :thumbsup:

Before you head off, download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

killerz180

killerz180

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Yh ill do that, i seem to have picked up another problem i downloaded only half my drivers and restarted the pc, so it didn't install the graphics card and sound card. For some reason my Cd-Rom won't open, when the computer starts up i see a light flash by it and when i cick the button to open it, it makes a clicking noise but doesn't open. When I had the previous problem of that corrupt file error it was opening fine. I tried going on my computer and clicking eject but that doesn't work. Any help ?