Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GeForce or ATi?

• Please log in to reply

UV_Power

UV_Power

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Hello everyone,

I am building a new comp. Here are the specs...

Motherboard:
ASUS P5GPL
Processor:
P4 520 Prescott LGA 775

My question is what kind of video card would go best with this set, and why? Thanks.

Advertisements

killingalchemy

killingalchemy

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
hmm. not a fan of intel.. so I don't like that setup.. but if you're not going to be playing games.. I say more power to you.

uhhh.. I'm a fan of Nvidia myself... I don't care for ATI.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Also not an intel fan AMDs are just better value for money. I like nvidia but at the moment im going ati because the x800 was only 30 quid more and was an awful lot better than the gigabyte 6600gt turbo i was gonna get.

killingalchemy

killingalchemy

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Also not an intel fan AMDs are just better value for money. I like nvidia but at the moment im going ati because the x800 was only 30 quid more and was an awful lot better than the gigabyte 6600gt turbo i was gonna get.

View Post

actually.. it's not that much better. I believe a 6800 GT is equal to the x800 and the 6600GT is equal tot he 6800.. and the 6800 is only a little less than the 6800GT... so therefore the 6600GT is only a little less powerful than the x800

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You know ive done alot of research the 6600GT gets whupped by even a vanilla X800 and even more when you overclock it to the proper clock speeds it was designed for. A 6600 GT uses a 128 bit interface and 128 mb of ram it cannot come close to a 6800 with double the ram and twice the interface.

I wouldnt have said anything if i hadnt been reading every review i could find for the last week or two a 6600GT thats why i decided not to get one because it really wasnt good value for money like the x800 was and was by all accounts much more difficult to overclock as the newer ones are allready almost maxed out when you buy it. Whereas you can take a plain x800 and take the ram which is underclocked and overclock it the core clock can be takin up substabtially, and it then approaches x800XT territory coming just a little short. If you can open up the extra pipes as you can in some of them it really goes and you get a very cheap x800xt/pro ,which performance wise sits between a 6800GT and a 6800 Ultra.

Even non overclocked it can heftily beat a 6600GT, the x800s are in a different league. And where did you get a 6800 was the same as a 6600GT you really think people would buy 6800s if the 6600GT was the same at half the price.

Sorry to rant, it was just "actually" that really bugs me.

Ntd

Ntd

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
Hey warriorscot, i have a Asus X800 Pro 256mb, now i think the original clock speeds were 475/450, i have overclocked them to 535/505 (Love ATi Tool :tazz: ). That made a real difference (from 4200+ to 5000+ on 3DMark05). How can i " open up the extra pipes" to make it like a "x800XT"?

http://www.geekstogo...pe=post&id=1439

Edited by Ntd, 12 June 2005 - 07:49 PM.

killingalchemy

killingalchemy

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

You know ive done alot of research the 6600GT gets whupped by even a vanilla X800 and even more when you overclock it to the proper clock speeds it was designed for. A 6600 GT uses a 128 bit interface and 128 mb of ram it cannot come close to a 6800 with double the ram and twice the interface.

I wouldnt have said anything if i hadnt been reading every review i could find for the last week or two a 6600GT thats why i decided not to get one because it really wasnt good value for money like the x800 was and was by all accounts much more difficult to overclock as the newer ones are allready almost maxed out when you buy it. Whereas you can take a plain x800 and take the ram which is underclocked and overclock it the core clock can be takin up substabtially, and it then approaches x800XT territory coming just a little short. If you can open up the extra pipes as you can in some of them it really goes and you get a very cheap x800xt/pro ,which performance wise sits between a 6800GT and a 6800 Ultra.

Even non overclocked it can heftily beat a 6600GT, the x800s are in a different league. And where did you get a 6800 was the same as a 6600GT you really think people would buy 6800s if the 6600GT was the same at half the price.

Sorry to rant, it was just "actually" that really bugs me.

View Post

there is a difference between 6800 and 6800GT.. I know what I'm talking about.
from what I see you pay double the money and up for an x800. and SLi isn't supported... waste.of.money. whenever you want to upgrade and keep up with latest technology.. you have to go buy a 500 and up dollar card.. and all I gotta do is buy a cheap ol (by then they will be extremely cheap) 6600GT and SLi it together wiht my other one and I'm ready... even though 256mb will still be behind on the technology... I'm just pretty much saying that Nvidia is better than ATI in the long run...
I may have worded my last post wrong... I didn't mean that the 6600GT could match your x800.. really my whole point is that Nvidia is better.. because you can buy a SLi ready board and be ready for the future.. so you don't have to buy the latest GPU you can jsut buy the same video card you have and SLi them...
6600GT is all I need/want.. if I had more money I would have bought a 6800GT.
al I wanna do is play the current games.. I could care less if they're at insane levels.. mid is fine... and 6600GT will do me fine. you are right though the x800 isn't that bad of a price... but I'm not a fan of ATI.
I'm just going to end up saying the same thign over and over.. and you're probably just going to discredit my opinion.. but whatever...
oh and some 6800s (NOT GTs) are better than the 6600GT.. but most of them are pretty close to the same.
again.. 6600GT is all I need/want.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I dont know where your gettin it but it is a physical impossiblity for a 6600GT to be anywhere close in terms of performance with a card with near identical clock speeds and twice the interface and RAM. If you think getting SLi is easy you have not done your research properly the two cards have to be identical down to factory and batch number for them to be able to be used in sli straight out the box.

Otherwise you will have to get the same make and model from the same company and install a new bios on the old card and set both to there default clocks. If i had the money i would get a 6800 but i dont so its x800 with crossfire support, which means that all i need to do later is upgrade to an ati mobo later on down the line and can use crossfire which by all accounts is superior to sli. Crossfire lets you use to complety different cards as long as one of them is crossfire enabled they are also linked externally meaning that it will appeal to a broader market so nvidia doesnt have the long term.
The way Sli cards work putting two 6600GTs isnt that fantastic as you are still limited by the smaller interace and ram if you had done the research you would have known that. Also Sli doesnt give the same advantage you only get 60-80% of the combined theoretical power of the cards depending on the board and card. Although the 6600GT is currently quite expensive for what you are getting the 7 series are going to cause a considerable drop in prices so if you were planning on getting a 6600GT you will probably be able to afford a 6800 which is pretty much just as good as a x800 give or take and the nvidia does have a advantage in drivers. SLi is good but it isnt very friendly it is enjoying such popularity because the crossfire system wasnt released in time and the first boards for it are just coming out however alot of cards allready suport it.

Im not really discrediting your opinion we are have a discussion thats what you do, you offer a different point of view. You are stilling wording it quite "aggresively" are ellipses and rampant use of full stops really necessary paragraphs and sentances are more than sufficientit also means that you posts are more legible as they can be a bit difficult to read.

I have been looking into opening up the extra pipes and alot of the refences ive found are quite vague as to how to but i havent looked through alot of the forums there are on overclocking. From what ive read it is done using a piece of normal windows ocin software but i dont know which: im still looking. It is a software restriction on the pipes so if you know what your doing you could remove it yourself, but not alot of people know how, so im still looking for the software if anyone knows what it is post it here.

Heres a good review while most x800s dont have heatpipes the enhanced clockspeeds are now pretty much standard fare. Theres plenty more. http://www.hardcorew...eview-286-1.htm

Edited by warriorscot, 13 June 2005 - 06:48 AM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
The 6800gt is above the X800 pro, and it overclocks easily to ultra specs.

The X800 pro would be better than the 6600gt.

killingalchemy

killingalchemy

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

You are stilling wording it quite "aggresively" are ellipses and rampant use of full stops really necessary paragraphs and sentances are more than sufficientit also means that you posts are more legible as they can be a bit difficult to read.

View Post

I'm really not sure what you're saying here. I can't tell if you're making fun of my grammar and punctuation or what. Yeah I use ellipses a lot. It's just a habit I have yet to stop, but if ellipses are making it hard to read that's pretty sad. If you're going to be talking about my grammar, atleast make sure you use correct punctuation in the sentence[s] that you talk about it.

I dont know where your gettin it but it is a physical impossiblity for a 6600GT to be anywhere close in terms of performance with a card with near identical clock speeds and twice the interface and RAM.

Next time I'd appreciate if you read my post.

I didn't mean that the 6600GT could match your x800

Advertisements

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
Boy, did we get off topic here. :tazz:

Let me try to steer us back into place. I probably should've let you know that I am not going to be playing much games. Also, let's put a price cap on the video card to about $100 (or possibly a little bit more if it's really worth it).

Basically, I am asking should I get the X600 or the GeForce 6200???

Thanks.

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
I will put any single 6800ultra against my X800pro any day...it is Air Cooled :tazz:

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

The 6800gt is above the X800 pro, and it overclocks easily to ultra specs.

The X800 pro would be better than the 6600gt.

View Post

Depends on what "pro" your lookin at :tazz:

http://arc.aquamark3...?run=1899422441

Edited by OneCool, 13 June 2005 - 06:21 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dont really know i havent looked at the lower end cards to be honest, i play alot of games so i need a good midrange card myself. I would go with whatever is cheaper as in terms of perforamnce at those lower leves well its not the biggest difference. I would probably say 6200 as the nvidias are pretty much idiot proof for the most part and getting drivers is really easy and nvidia have better drivers usually.But ati have always been very good at the lower end of the market generally nvidia doesnt always give it the same attenion.

Read some reviews, an extra 30 quid goes a long way a 6600GT would probably be better as it is that 30 quid extra and is better than a x700.

UV_Power

UV_Power

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Read some reviews, an extra 30 quid goes a long way a 6600GT would probably be better as it is that 30 quid extra and is better than a x700.

I don't know where you are looking, but I have found a 6200 for about $90 less than the 6600GT. Even though it may be worth the money for gamers, it doesn't seems too worth it to me... :tazz: