Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WiFi keeps turning itself off

• Please log in to reply

brycrip

brycrip

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

I had this issure before and fixed it but can't remember what I did!

The laptop is Asus K53E with Win7 as the OS. I'm using the power saver mode. When I first power up, the WiFi is turned off. The Win Troubleshooter will turn it on but off it goes again after about 30 seconds. Someone suggested the power savings for the wifi device in Device Manager... now I can't find it!

Can someone jog my old foggy memory for me?

Much appreciated.

Bry

Advertisements

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Hi brycrip :)

When you go in the Device Manager, under Network Adapter, right-click on your Network Adapter (WiFi) name and select Properties. From there, do you have a tab named Power Management?

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Thanks for your help, Aura... No, Power Manager does not appear under Network Adapters,  Properties.

Bry

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
What tabs do you have under Properties? Also, what's the name of your Network Controller in the Device Manager?

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Tab just says General and then Network Adapters. Controller is: Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.20)

Sound right?

Bry

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
This is your Ethernet Controller, for your ethernet connection (wired, ethernet cable). Not your Network Controller (wireless adapter, WiFi). Do you have any other devices showing under Network Adapters? If so, which ones?

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

I got:

Intel®Contrino® Wireless-N100

Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adaptor

Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adaptor #2

Sorry, I'm working from a small cafe in the Dominican Republic and will continue with you tomorrow. Thank you for your patience and your help with this.

All best, Bry

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
No problem bry :) Your Network Controller is the Intel Centrino Wireless-N100 one so you should check if this one have a Power Management tab under Properties. See you tomorrow!

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

It does! But under Power Management the "Allow computer to turn off device to save power" is UNchecked. As is "Allow device to wake the computer."

Thanks, Aura...

Bry

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Alright, go on the following webpage:

http://support.asus....guage=en&m=K53E

This is the drivers download webpage for your specific ASUS laptop model. Select Windows 7 64-bits as the OS, then under Wireless download the 4th driver, Intel® WiFi Wireless LAN Driver. Once downloaded, install it and restart your computer.

Advertisements

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Nope... I downloaded the forth one down, "Intel®WiFi Wireless LAN Driver ...the file, when selected was called WiFi Intel Family Win 7 64 214113-1.zip. I downloaded and rebooted but the WiFi Radio didn't start on a couple of reboots. Did I download the right driver? I went back and checked the "turn off device to save power" in Device Manager, still unchecked.

Anything else I can try?

Thanx,

Bry

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
After you downloaded that file (the .zip), did you extract it and installed the drivers or you simply downloaded it?

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Simply downloaded it.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Alright, if you extract the .zip file, do you have a file called "setup.exe" inside it?

brycrip

brycrip

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

No. There are two files: Drivers and Install. In the install folder there is Lang, Intel PROset wireless, Setup, and Setup.