Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which dvd editing software is easiest to use?

• Please log in to reply

Bewitched1

Bewitched1

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I am hoping for some advice on tried and tested dvd editing software apps. Honestly my timeframe to edit these dvds is short and my pockets are close to empty BUT I am willing to pay for easy to use software if it gives a good result. Internet search brought up too many results with little review - except for the free Windows Movie Maker which sounds like it has a few issues. I have had 5 VHS tapes converted to DVD of our family home movies and was assured after ripping them to the pc I can edit them. Which software package should I use to do this thats easy to follow? Thanks! :)

Advertisements

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Windows Movie Maker is actually pretty decent for most amateur video editing.

Sony Vegas would be my suggestion for non-free software.

Any additional details on what/why you're editing could help us pick the best software for you.

Edited by Fusionbomb, 02 March 2015 - 04:17 PM.

Bewitched1

Bewitched1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks for the reply :) We have family movies to edit for our nieces 21st birthday. They are all VOB files in a _TS folder. I downloaded a dvd converter and converted them to be compatible with Windows Live Movie Maker which was already on my pc so I thought id try it. I agree the tools look easy enough to use, but somehow wanting to edit just a few seconds and/or minutes out of each clip is proving difficult.

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

I have always used Windows Movie Maker.  That will probably work just fine for you, as well.  It just takes some playing around with to get used to; it's been a while since I've used it myself, but I'll try to help:

When trying to trim off fractions of a second, go to Timeline view, if you're not already.  Click the magnifying glass with the + on it until the video clip(s) can't get any bigger.  Press the Split button to split the track (wherever you "select" the the clip... where the vertical lines appears on the clip). 

wmmtip_zpsyp8dgaro.png
Unless something has changed over the past few years, I was able to trim pretty much EXACTLY where I wanted to within the footage. 

I hope this helps!  :prop:

Edited by Fusionbomb, 03 March 2015 - 08:18 AM.

Bewitched1

Bewitched1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Many thanks for the reply! I am still having trouble with the conversion at this point i think, the clips are only a few seconds now on playback instead of the whole thing, I will re-try the conversion and then give the above a go, hopefully i can nail it :)

Fusionbomb

Fusionbomb

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Right on... just ask if you need any more help.  :wave: