Firstly thank you for the help received after I dropped my laptop and subsequent tests performed. In the end I needed a new computer, and I have a few queries.
I had a budget of £300 and after looking at some OK spec desktops, I saw a decent spec one on Amazon Warehouse (Zoostorm 7877-0411, AMD A10 5700 3.4GHz Processor, 12GB RAM, 2TB HDD, DVD-RW, Windows 8). It was listed as used, but no further info. For £280 I thought I would give it a shot after an Amazon rep said I could return it for free if its not what I expected. One recent bad review said it was loud and wouldn't load Windows, so I assumed it would be that return. When I opened it, there was no scratches as described, I seems brand new. When I plugged it in to my current monitor, it loaded the Zoostorm logo, but said 'no signal' after that. I tried a Windows repair as I thought something was wrong with Windows, but nothing. I decided to plug it into my telly and it works! Windows loads and all seems fine.
So, my queries.
1. What should I look for in a monitor? Obviously my current one doesn't support it, what should I look for when getting a new one?
2. Can I see if anything has been done to the computer before I got it? I have to assume it was used, but would like to know how much, or if it was the bad reviewer and he had the same monitor trouble, and in the end didn't use it!
3. It didn't come with a Windows disc. Should I be worried, is it normal not to be supplied with one?
4. How do I get the windows key if I need it for future issues? Its not on the case (I haven't opened it up yet).
5. Can I do a health check, just to make sure everything is working fine? The HDD is making a loud noise, but Im used to silent laptop so its probably normal.
This is the speccy results ... http://speccy.pirifo...8O2kKhq2UWG5BbI And before you say, Yes, I have named my computer Tinkerbell! When I plugged it into the telly, it asked me to name my computer and I saw my daughters Tinkerbell DVD.
P.S I haven't installed Norton yet, I'll wait to see if Im keeping it before I start using it properly.
Edited by parrot feet, 28 February 2015 - 07:10 AM.