Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mysterious slow downloads

• Please log in to reply

MedFive

MedFive

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I've had this problem for a few months now. Some, but not all, of my downloads are intolerably slow. It's not a general internet speed issue; speed tests clock in at the expected rate (1.5-2 MB/s), and surfing webpages feels normal.

The downloads in question are through websites like Keep2share, Rapidgator, Fboom, Filesmonster, etc. It used to be that having a premium account with such sites would permit full-speed downloading, but now most of the downloads are about 30-80 KB/s. But not all of them--some (maybe 10-20%) will still download at full speed. The exception is Filesmonster, where the situation is reversed: around 80-90% download at full speed, while the rest are the aforementioned 30-80 KB/s. I'm talking about premium membership here, again.

Some info that might be relevant: I use a laptop with Windows 8 and have a wireless connection with Time Warner Cable. I've tried resetting router and modem, resetting the computer, and playing with firewalls, but with no change. (But if those were the problem, you'd expect the issue to apply to all downloads rather than simply most, right?) The issue also happens on the other home computer. I haven't tried taking my laptop elsewhere for downloading, but I tried using a VPN from home, and the downloads were much faster, though still not maximum speed. (That's not an acceptable long-term solution anyway, but it might be a clue as to the problem.) I've tried different browsers and different times of day, but with no change in result. Whether a file is a slow download or a fast download doesn't seem to change: I've never seen a slow download turn fast or a fast one turn slow, and a particular file that downloads slowly will still be a slow one if I try again weeks later (same for the fast files). It also makes no difference how many or how few files I'm trying to download at once.

A lot of the standard explanations for slow downloading (ISP throttling, software bandwidth caps, busy times of day) don't seem to apply to my case, since the minority of files will still download at full speed while the slow ones crawl along.

I'm at my wits' end with this. Any advice? Thanks.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Medfive,

:welcome:

Start off by saying most of those sites can carry Malware and viruses and a lot of times are used for pirated software. Not saying you are doing anything wrong, just FYI.

Secondly

I feel all due to each individual site, they vary in speeds when not premium user or even when not all same as you saw,sometimes netwrok traffic can play into this too, busy server at download site, browser can make difference to with it's download manager. Try this program as it can increase download speeds, but at a cost of purchasing and is very good.

http://internetdownloadmanager.com/ 

Honestly with your upload and download speeds you have can't expect much. Make sure browsers not using so many extension or add-ons this could make the difference, as many running programs in backround, clear cache and history from browsers regularly.

Resetting the modem there is other ways through it's settings if you tried by typing an IP address in browser, find out from Time Warner.

Devid Huang

Devid Huang

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Slow network is a common phenomenon. Slow network speed can be caused by a number of things. to troubleshoot slow network is one of the most common and troublesome work in daily network management.

According to analysis, major reasons for your slow network are Server slow response,To quickly find out the cause for slow network happens.  you may read the artical "How to Diagnose Slow Server Response" which can help you to find out the reason.

Edited by Devid Huang, 15 March 2015 - 09:02 PM.