Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help fixing microsoft teredo tunneling adapter win 7

• Please log in to reply

wharriss

wharriss

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

I first noticed the problem when I tried to print an email with my epson xp-400 printer

It didn't print, so I looked under devices and printers and saw the yellow trouble sign on my HP Pavilion Elite PC

I ran the windows troubleshooter and the error message came up with problem with the teredo tunneling adapter.

The troubleshooter searched for the driver but said the installation did not install properly.

I do not know what caused this problem. Nothing I did unusual. My last windows up date was a "hotfix" installed 2/27/15

Under device manager it shows this tunnel adapter "unable to start) code10

I am running norton 360 premier antivirus and paid version of MBAM

I found several "solutions" for this problem in a web search but I am not confident to follow such advice as I would be following the advice on this great forum

Thanks for any help offered

SORRY I JUST REALIZED THIS POST SHOULD BE UNDER WINDOWS 7 OPERATING SYSTEM, NOT THIS ONE

Edited by wharriss, 02 March 2015 - 10:56 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello wharriss,

Create a new restore point then uninstall the teredo tunneling adapter in the Device Manager, restart the computer and see if the device is successfully reinstalled.

Let us know how it goes.

wharriss

wharriss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

thanks for taking my post phillpower2

I followed the steps you outlined

tunneling adapter did not reinstall.

the name is missing from the list of network adapters in device manager.

What do I need to do to reinstall the adapter?

Thanks

Edited by wharriss, 03 March 2015 - 12:46 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

The device may in fact not need to be installed at all, does the computer still connect to the internet.

If you do not already use it the HP product auto detect tool will help with obtaining the correct drivers etc details here

You are welcome btw wharriss  :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Have you made any progress with this wharriss, an update would be appreciated.

wharriss

wharriss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

I could not get the adapter to install and start.

I am connecting with no problems to the internet and my epsom wireless printer, so I think I will just live without the adapter

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

A good laymans explanation of what Teredo Tunneling is for here: http://www.bleepingc...l/#entry3390932

Teredo tunneling is a transition technology that gives full IPv6 connectivity for IPv6-capable hosts which are on the IPv4 Internet but which have no direct native connection to an IPv6 network. At the moment most home systems connected to the internet do not have native IPv6 connectivity and as more websites move to the new system teredo tunneling needs to be used so our IPv4 sytsems can have access and process IPv6 address data.
The limitations of IPv4 mean that over the next few years the world would run out of new internet addresses so hence the move to IPv6. Teredo tunneling is intended to be only a temporary measure: in the long term, all IPv6 hosts should use native IPv6 connectivity. ISP's have a lot of work to do still before this becomes reality though.

The reality is that at the moment you can get away without it. I have IPv6 disabled on my network to avoid confusion with legacy machine equipment, I've never missed it in the slightest... Not saying this won't change in the future though.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

For anyone who may have this issue in the future.

Enable Tunnel/Teredo  http://go.microsoft....?linkid=9732131

Disable Tunnel/Teredo http://go.microsoft....?linkid=9728871

Source: http://support.micro...en-us/kb/929852

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks Rockmilk  :thumbsup:

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

:D

wharriss

wharriss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Thanks rockmilk

After running the two fixit programs you provided,  my teredo tunneling adapter is now showing as a hidden device under network adapters and in properties it is showing that this device is working properly.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Good to know, and glad to have helped. :)