Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Stealing Focus

Focus Windows 7 Auto Minimized Window

• Please log in to reply

Dogzard

Dogzard

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Ok, I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, been doing so on this computer for almost 12 months now. Reciently, for some odd reason, whenever I'm playing a video game in fullscreen, or watching a movie in fullscreen, or doing anything in fullscreen, at random times and quite suddenly my application will minimize to desktop and my processor alert circle thing next to my mouse pointer starts up, my computer will lag for a good 5 to 10 seconds. After which, should I decide to maximize the window I was working on within 30 seconds to a minute, the window will minimize again. After this, usually it will stay pretty stable for a least a few hours before going through this process again.

At first I thought it was my Avast virus scanner, but then I realized that whatever is causing this is triggering Avast to go into a scan, which is where the ten or so seconds of lag is coming in. So, I tried an experiment. I unplugged from the Matrix, stayed offline and shut down my Avast. I then booted up one of my favorite games and started playing. The incident happened within an hour of game play where Windows suddenly minimized what I was doing to desktop and the processor spooled up for about 45 seconds.

I've used Malwarebytes, CCleaner, Avast, and a ton of questions online where all I see are people having other programs stealing focus from their tasks. None where it seems Windows itself is stealing focus and no solutions in sight. I'm not computer program savvy, bloody things are a big lego set to me, but programs confound me. I've seen people talking about the mouse being the problem, I've seen people talking about programs I've never used being the problem... None that I've found that give a definitive solution to this problem.

PLEASE HELP

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:welcome: Dogzard

Have a read about using Reliabilty mnitor to see if you can spot the culprit.

https://www.winhelp....n-windows.html\

http://www.makeuseof...bility-monitor/

also see, System Explorer, > http://systemexplorer.net/download.php